Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pgde

Aftermath of Historic Low Temps

pgde
13 years ago

Just removed all my cold weather protection and this is how the in-ground citrus looks like here in Tucson. The good news is that the underlying branches on all 6 trees are still green inside. So, hopefully soon, with this relatively warm weather forecast by the NWS for the next several weeks, the trees will send out some new replacement growth. After taking these pictures, I have removed all fruit. I was also thinking of giving them some vitamin B1 and perhaps a diluted fertilizer feeding. Sprayed today with NEEM oil and STEM foliar feeding to protect the weakened plants from insects, etc. Comments?

Moro Blood Orange:

{{gwi:396138}}

Rio Red Grapefruit:

{{gwi:396139}}

Mexican Lime:

{{gwi:396140}}

Variegated Eureka Pink Lemon:

{{gwi:396142}}

Valencia:

{{gwi:396143}}

Washington Navel:

{{gwi:396144}}

Comments (7)

• agility_mom
    13 years ago

OMG! What kind of frost protection did you have? I see what looks like frost cloth laying beside one tree and some extension cords so I assume that there were also lights or some other heat source.
    How cold did it get where you are?
    I had frost cloth and c-7 Christmas lights equaling 125 watts on my small citrus. I'm east of Mesa and it got to the mid 20's for a low here. All 12 of my covered and lit trees made it through with no visible damage. I had an uncovered but lit Limequat that has a little tip burn on some of the leaves but the one tree that looks the worst for me is an older dwarf lemon tree. It will lose it's leaves but the branches and trunk look fine.
    This weekend, I'll take off my frost cloth but as goofy as the weather has been, I'm not taking down the lights or putting the cloth away just yet.
    I haven't been worried about insects because there doesn't seem to be any around here right now and, I'm afraid of fertilizing because my trees have not been planted for a year yet.
    Thanks for posting the pictures.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Oh my! That looks like a disaster. I'm pretty sure I lost some branches on some of my fruit trees but nothing like that. I hope they come back.

I see the frost cloth and wires so I assume they were used. What did you use for a heat source? Did the frost cloth drape down to the ground? Did you water them well before the cold hit?

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

that's what our citrus look like too ... Hoping they come back ...

• pgde
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I wish it only got down to the 20s. The low temps here in Tucson were:

29, 25, 14.4, 16.2, 29, 29, 30, 33 from 2/1 to 2/8. The two lowest temps were for a period of 8 hours or more. The other below freezing temps were for 6 hours or more. This was an HISTORIC low in Tucson (since 1889 when records started being kept). While the leaves look terrible and have for the most part fallen off, the wood looks generally okay (i.e. not split and green inside).

I used both 250 watt halogen work lights from Home Depot and C7 Xmas lights along with frost protection cloth. But, when it gets to 14 for a long period of time, nothing much, short of jet heaters would do much of anything I would think. Also, the night it was 16.2 the winds all night were 13 gusting 20.

P.

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Ugh! Not good, but it definitely would have been worse if you hadn't added frost protection. I think you did the right thing by removing the fruit to reduce stress. If they've got green inside the stems then they should come back soon.

I didn't have as extensive damage in my garden, which got to 28 F for two nights, but some of my citrus were definitely cut back a bit, but this week I already see the very first signs of new growth on some branches. Hopefully you'll see the same on yours soon. Many parts of the Phoenix area had lows that haven't been seen since 1928. Awful.

Everything I've read says continue with the usual fertilization regimen this year, although if your trees were mine, I'd probably go half-strength for the February dose.

Keep us posted and super good luck. Citrus are really fun plants and I hope yours bounce back. Updates are encouraged!

Take care,
    Grant

• euqruob
    13 years ago

I have a 2 year old Sanguinlli Blood Orange that survived, but got hurt a bit. Its become a pretty tough little plant, been through 2 nasty summers. Lost some leaves, but it will pull through. Everything else came through just fine.

• piranhafem
    13 years ago

Tucson/Marana here: I covered my dwarf Improved Meyer lemon and my tiny orange tree, with heavy cloth and lights underneath, and they survived. A large ornamental citrus took heavy damage to the leaves, but most of the branches seem to be alive.

The tree that was hit hardest is a Willow Acacia. I think it's stone dead. It was too tall to cover. Makes me very sad, it was a lovely tree. :-(

--Maureen