Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arabian Lilac question

Posted by mikerizzle9 Mesa (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 16:21

I just picked up this 5 gal at HD... I have questions about pruning. Check out the trunk and tell me what I should do. I noticed that some of the oldest looking stems are producing new growth at the tip, meaning without branching like a rose or everything else I'm used to. I choose this one because it had the most dense base.

There is plenty of top growth but I wanted to get a good pic of what I'm talking about.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arabian Lilac question

Here is the whole bush

o

Fun! It probably depends what you want it to do. I like them just left to grow unpruned into small trees. If you want it to stay SHORT then you can trim it back in late winter (it flowers on new wood). If it was mine, I'd probably select my favorite dozen branches and cut the rest away.

They're great, fun plants here for sure. When I worked (for fun, on weekends mostly) at Tera's Gardens nursery we had a few that rooted into the ground through their pots and we ended up just cutting the pots away and leaving them when she sold the place. They're still there (the place is a restaurant now)--that shows how durable they are. Love the underside of those leaves! Let us know what you do and how it works out! Happy gardening!

Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from my garden February 2013

o

Gorgeous! I want one! How y'all do they get if left to grow as trees?

o

Thanks for tips Grant... Once I got my hands in there it became clear what growth was dead and what was healthy. Looking wasn't enough for me, had to see what bended and what broke. I got it cleaned up enough for me to plant. I hate planting and pruning when I'm sitting on the ground, I like to have the area I'm focused easy to reach while I'm kicking back in a chair.

I'll give it another go once it gets settled and shows its habit. It will be shading my bedroom window.

o

Hah! I like your approach to pruning mikerizzle9. Having it up on a table sounds great, as does bending/snapping the twigs. Great job. We'll want pics when it's planted of course, and then after it's grown a bit. They really are neat plants--the undersides of the leaves are amazing! So nice.

immobilus, I've seen them get to about 12-15 feet tall, but they could probably get taller. They don't get quite as big as their relative the chaste tree, but they can become nice little trees if you let them.

Happy gardening all,!
Grant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here