Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamtrible

Any advice for my blackberry?

tamtrible
10 years ago

I splurged and bought a wee blackberry plant from the hardware store (it's an Ebony King, and I'm broke enough that $7 for a plant is splurging). It's in a giant pot in my back yard, and that's where it's going to live, I don't have room in-ground.

I have... an odd spot for growing things. For about 2 months during the winter, I have *no* sun in my garden, because I have a tiny yard (on the north side of my house) and a high ceiling. During the summer, there's a fair amount of sun along the back of my garden area, though I can move things into shade if they would prefer that, and everything gets some shade from the scraggly little tree on the west side of the yard. If it matters, I have a block wall.

I'd like my little blackberry to survive, and hopefully also give me tasty, tasty fruit. Keeping expense in mind (I'm pretty broke), how can I best keep my little plant happy? Do I need to get some kind of trellis for it? If so, will one of those tomato cages or whatever do? How wet do blackberries generally like to be? Any special precautions I need for mid-summer? Any other thoughts?

Comments (2)