trim off the dead parts ?
ect

any help will be most appreciated

Thanks
Hunter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My poor avocado tree

Can you set it outside under an overhang in bright light?

All it probably needs is warmer weather and some shelter from the sun.

o

where in Az are you?
I am in Yuma and I have an avocado tree in the back yard with no protection at all and it is still green and doing fine. I am not sure having it by the heating vents is good for the tree, the hot air hitting it all of the sudent may be doing it. It may also be drying the soil too much.

o

littleluey, what kind of avacado do you have in your yard.

I planted a little Cado.....(basically a Haas on dwarf rootstook) in the fall here in Lake Havasu. Everyone tells me it will die due to the alkali and salts in our soil and water.

Are you doing anything special with it?

o

Thatcher AZ

gotten kind of cold this year
mine is from a Haas pit!

i have some PH lowerer should i put it on the tree?

o

I have a mexicola avocado, just got it this summer and planted it right away. I don't really do anything special with it. I read that the way to eliminate salt in the soil you should fill the basin around the tree and the salts will push out away from the roots.
I know there are poeple growing avocados in the desert, there are a lot of fruit stands around town selling them along with other veggies. So don't listen to what people tell you. Lake Havasu is probably also zone 9 and the avocados are supposed to be able to grow here.

I would not just lower the ph, check what it is first and research your tree, if it needs to be lowered then do so.

Good luck.

o

here is a link to the nursery were my tree came from. I got the tree at lowe's and this web site has a lot of info on their plants:

Here is a link that might be useful: La verne nursery

o

The #1 thing that kills avo's is too much water resulting in root rot. They are very susceptible to it. filling the basin and letting it drench through is fine but don't let the water sit too long and don't water again for a while so the soil doesn't stay wet.
After that, the 3 big problems with avo's in the desert are salt, wind and too much sun. It sounds like you are already aware of the salt issue and working with that. Be sure to protect it from the big winds we get, especially in spring. You may also want to consider a shade cloth suspended over it for the next summer while it's still trying to get established. Put it up the first time the temps get over mid 80's and leave it up through September, till temps cool down again. It should still get some early morning and late afternoon sun.
Good luck
Arthur

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here