Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first real plant mystery

Posted by grant_in_arizona USDA Z9 Scottsdale A (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 19:15

Hi everyone,

I love seeing everyone's Plant Mysteries, and now I have one of my own.

This plant sprouted two years ago and has grown quite a bit. It may be self-sown, it may be Grant-sown (hah!), it may be something else, I'm not sure. Buuut, here's a pic from yesterday.

I thought it might be an ash tree, but you can see, it absolutely refuses to lose its leaves. I thought it *might* be some sort of Tecoma (I grow several species) but again, it is absolutely unbothered by the recent cold snap (my other Tecomas will survive, but are brown and crunchy right now). Any ideas/suggestions on an ID?

I know, I know, if it ever flowers that will help provide an ID, but I just thought for fun I would share it. I would have sworn it was an ash tree (Fraxinus) but since sprouting it has not lost its leaves in two winters now. Are there some ash trees we can grow that don't lose their leaves? By the way, there's not a single ash tree within a mile of my garden. It's in full, HOT sun, and not on a drip, so it just gets runoff from container plants on the patio, and an occasional pity spray of water from me. Whatcha think?

It's not in a great location design-wise, but it's done so well I haven't had the heart to move it, at least not until we get a good possible ID.

Let me know what you think! Again, keep in mind it survived the recent frosts unprotected and looks great. The pic is from yesterday. I didn't put the tennis ball in it to show size, but it's about 3 or 3.5 feet tall now after two years.

Happy gardening!
Grant

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first real plant mystery

Grant, it sure looks like an ash to me. Shamel ash, in fact. Maybe this link will help. As for its not dropping leaves, I can't account for a couple of plants in my yard that still have theirs, despite even the frost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shamel ash?

o

Turns out the Shamel ash is also known as the Evergreen ash. Think it may be your tree?

Here is a link that might be useful: Evergreen ash

o

Yoo-hoo, Grant! Did you figure it out?

o
Shamel ash it is!

Hiya Tomato and all,

Thanks for the links and candidate ID's! Sorry it took a couple of days to reply--it's been a hellacious week at work. I'm really looking forward to spending some time in the garden this weekend (despite the chill in the air).

Anyway, I think you're correct about the Shamel ash ID, thanks. I thought it looked like an ash, but didn't realize that Shamels were evergreen in the low desert. This plant certainly has been evergreen. My old work had some nice ash trees nearby but they were (are) deciduous and always dropped their leaves. I guess my little mystery plant is a self sown Shamel ash, thanks again. I'd better relocate it ASAP then as it's right on the edge of the patio

Thanks again, tomato, gardeners are so generous with information, I'm always learning something every time I log in here.
Happy gardening!
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from my garden, Feb 2013

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here