Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any rhyme or reason

Posted by agility_mom z9 AZ (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 20:05

I have planted several bare root fruit trees. They were all planted within a week or so of each other in a similar location. The thing is that some have leafed out or have blossoms and others are just bare still.
So, is there an order to how they wake up such as apples before apricots? Or, is there some other reason as to what makes them leaf out at different times?
I sure will feel better once they all have leaves or flowers so that I know they are alive.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any rhyme or reason

I have several fruit trees in various stages of breaking dormancy and some that still appear to be dormant. Many are the same variety.

Give em some time.

Dave

o

• Posted by pgde 9, Tucson (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 22:54

My apricot, planted last year, still isn't leafing yet but sure has a lot of buds on it. I bet in a week or two (assuming warm weather) it will begin leafing out.

To see if the tree is indeed alive, try breaking a small twig in various places on the tree and it should be green inside.

P.

o

Thanks to both of you. I'll keep checking them daily and relax a bit :)

o

I have two peach trees. One is an August Pride and the other is an Eva's Pride. They are planted within five feet of each other. About three weeks ago, the Eva's Pride began blossoming and leafing out. Then this week, the August Pride began.

I just bought these trees last year and I have never owned any kind of fruit trees before. So...I am no expert on the habits of fruit trees. But I have a theory. I think the trees break dormancy in the order of their harvest times. The August Pride is supposed to ready for harvest August 5 - August 20, while the Eva's Pride is ready for harvest in June 20 - July 15. My theory is that they bloom and leaf in order of harvest times. I could be wrong.

o

I know how frustrating it can be waiting for everyone to 'wake' up. :-)

My apricot started blooming last week, 1 fig showing signs of life, and the pomegranate.

My pear doesn't look too happy, or my plum.

Mine are all in containers in the same area of the yard.

JoJo

o

Several of my fig trees are waking up...one branch at a time. On or two branches will leaf out...and the others appear dormant...then the buds on them will swell and break out into small figs or leaves.

They seem to have their own schedule.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here