Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP! In need of ideas.

Posted by every1lovesjoey none (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 20:16

Hello Happy Gardeners,

I wanted to get some ideas of what to plant in my flower bed. I have attached a pic of what I'm playing with. I want the area to be a huge focal area with lots of color. It seems to be shaded most of the day except when the sun hits in the afternoon. My backyard faces north. I have gardenias all along the wall since it gets mostly shade and they seem to do very well there. Any recommendations of what will work best in the area. It is right off the patio which is where I was standing when I took the pic.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! In need of ideas.

• Posted by AJBB 9b (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 11:51

Are you looking at annuals or perennials?

o

I was thinking perennials.

o

Joey, try Camillias, they love shades and have wide variety of colors. Also try Arabian Jasmine var "Grand Duke" . Good luck

o

The Camilias look beautiful! I have never seen them before.

Joey

o

Joey, I saw beautiful Camillias trees or bush form at Home Depot the other day. They come in red, pink, or white. We use to have one on the North side shady part of the house in Phoenix years ago and it did great. They should give you plenty of color. Nick

o

Not to throw a wet blanket here, but 'joey said this particular spot gets afternoon sun, so it's not shady all day. Have you considered a mix of bulbs - irises, daffs, narcissus, etc. - plus summer annuals. Your gardenias are short plants and, to me, it seems you'd have a better aesthetic with plants that won't overshadow them. Prostrate rosemary might also be a good choice mixed with blanketflowers, lisianthus, upright vinca.... the list goes on. The photos in this link happen to be back east, but you get the idea. Many of the plants in her pic do well here, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mixed flower bed

o

How about some sedums.

o

Never seen them before. Are those sedums in the pic?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here