Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Medicinal Gardening

Posted by PleatherR0se QC, AZ (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 22:45

I am a new gardener and decided to start my own medicinal garden.
Currently I have growing Echinacea, Feverfew, Lemon Balm, Green Thread, California Poppy, and Chamomile.
Right now I have them all in little clear cups with baby seedlings that just came up. The California Poppy and the Chamomile has not sprouted yet...But time will tell....

Is anyone else doing any medicinal gardening? Any stories or tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Medicinal Gardening

• Posted by haname z9 AZ NE Phoenix (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 11:23

The poppies grow really easily. Just toss seeds out in October and they bloom in spring. They will reseed year after year. Once you know what the seedlings look like, you can remove other weeds and let just the poppies grow where they like. I also collect seeds to save for the next year. Mine are just now starting to shoot up some flowers. If they don't sprout, try again with them in October, and just sprinkle the seeds where you want them to grow.

I had no idea they have medicinal value, that's interesting! I found a link others might find useful. They're so pretty and attract birds and bees into the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: California Poppy Tincture

o
RE: Medicinal Gardening

there are lots of plants with medicinal value. Almost everyone has some in their garden whether they know it or not. I tend to focus on edibles, but one thing I made sure to plant this time is stinging nettles. They make very healthy tea, and you can eat them just like spinach. they're very high in protein and iron..etc.
Another one I planted is lovage. People don't think of it as medicinal because it's sort of related to parsley/cilantro/celery family, but it happens to be very high in quercetin. I have a liver condition, for which quercetin is very much indicated, so why not get it right out of my garden? besides it tastes fabulous in soups. I wish I had room for an olive tree. Olive leaf extract is one of the most potent anti-viral and anti-oxidants you will find. I'm supposed to do chemo, but I'd rather do this instead of ingesting poisons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here