Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisisme_gw

Tomato and Pepper Plants available right now?

thisisme
15 years ago

I would love to get a head start on my garden this year but I have not been able to find anyone stocking plants locally and online no one ships until April 15th to May 1st.

I guess what I'm asking is does anyone know of a nursery or online store with plants that can be taken home right now?

Comments (9)

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

I have the same problem too. I can't find anyone online who ships before April or May.

I ordered from www.chileplants.com last year, got them very late, but they were great quality plants. Great selection of heirloom varieties. The pepper plants I ordered last year are still producing now.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.chileplants.com/

• az_bob
    15 years ago

I just picked up some Tomato and chilies/peppers at Summer Winds up on 64th and Bell. Home Depot has these plants as well.

Be careful to cover your plants this week, frost in the early morning will wreak havoc on both tomato and peppers.

• thisisme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the help guys.

phoenixryan those guys are a great source but they don't won't be shipping anything for awhile.

az bob I gave Summer Winds a call at their Mesa location and they do have some pepper and tomato plants.

We have such a short season here which makes getting started early a must. Really makes me wonder why so many of the local plant nurseries don't have plants ready earlier.

• motown_gardener
    15 years ago

there at every home depot in the garden section. you can get them in the little six packs. 5-6 varieties, 5-6" tall. i just saw some last weekend.

• thisisme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi motown gardener, I went to my local Home Depot and picked up 5 tomato plants. They were all single plants as they did not have any six packs. No pepper plants at all so I'm still looking.

Hoping to find some Anaheim and Cherry pepper plants.

• dustbunni
    15 years ago

I was in the new Walmart off Tangerine Road today. They had some tomato plants but just single plants. Frankly, what hey had they didn't look all that great to me. Sanchez nursery in the town of Catalina told me they'll get their bedding packs in March.

I have to be in Tucson on the 26th. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I did pick up some mint, rosemary and lemon thyme.

• grant_in_arizona
    15 years ago

Fun to hear about who is offering what. I agree that with a lot of plants we need to get them earlier than many catalog/online places are willing to ship.

Berridge Nursery on Camelback had pepper and tomato plants for sale this past weekend. I imagine Baker nursery (40th and Osborn) does too. If they're close to you they'd be worth calling.

I don't do too many tomatoes these days, but I love growing a few hot peppers each year. I've got several seedlings going in my windowsill and I'll start easing them to life outside soon. I'm especially excited about an old heirloom type that is variegated but culinary (not the lovely but bred-for-just-looks-not-taste variegated ornamental peppers), it's called variegated fish pepper, originally used to flavor fish.

In any case, good luck with the plant hunting and growing. Keep us posted.

Take care,
    Grant

• thisisme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Picked up some small Hot Cherry Peppers and Poblano Pepper plants at HD today.

I also picked up some Anaheim Pepper plants and Strawberry plants at A & P Nursery.

Total shocker was a $ 13.99 price tag for a small 3 gallon tomato plant at A & P Nursery. The plants were about 14"-16" tall.

All the plant prices were up 25% or more over last year.

• azruss
    15 years ago

It's too late for this season, but it is something to keep in mind for next. Laurel's Heirloom Tomato Plants will ship as early as you like, but they have to have your order by the end of October. If you order in October, you can have seedlings shipped to AZ in January. Laurel might even take February orders as late as November. This is an excellent source that I used quite a bit until I gave starting-from-seed a try. Tell her I sent you!

Visit her site. It's beautiful and chock full of information.

Russ in Marana, AZ

Here is a link that might be useful: Laurel's Heirloom Tomatoes

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz