Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SquareFoot Garden bed

Posted by PleatherR0se none (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 23:19

I am a new gardener...and...
This is my square foot garden bed.... I made it on paint

So far the celery, carrots, and zucchini seeds have not sprouted yet...

I started the eggplant, bell peppers, butternut squash and cucumbers inside and transplanted them (apparently too early because they died in the recent cold)
So now I replanted them in my garden by seeds and are hoping they will grow when it gets warm again... (the orange bell peppers are still alive though)

The strawberry have sprouted but then my puppy ate it...

I have Anaheim chili's, jalapeno, red peppers, and four tomato plants started inside that I will wait longer to transplant this time...

I also tried artichoke but the first seed didn't take so I just planted a new one...

Everything is pretty much new seedlings in my garden... I feel so impatient that they really aren't going anywhere yet...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SquareFoot Garden bed

• Posted by haname z9 AZ NE Phoenix (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 11:08

Hi Pleather rose,

Your garden plan is really cute! You'll be glad to see those seedlings grow into big, productive plants. If some don't take, you can go to the nursery and buy already started plants.

I had to buy artichoke plants at the nursery because the seeds didn't germinate after 2 attempts. I put them in their own place because they can live and produce for a few years before they're done.

This one is in a bed a little over 3' wide.

These are planted about 3' apart.

Have fun with your garden!

o

They look great! If my artichoke seed doesn't take again, I will buy one from my local nursery :)

Thanks

o

I start just about amost everything inside, in peat pellets, or at the very least, pre-sprout it on a heating mat for a couple of days. That way I know which seeds are going to make it. I tend to wait until late, so this is my way of speeding things up. I've never planted artichokes from seed though. I might want to try. They're beautiful as decorative plants as well.

o

That's a very ambitious list for a new gardener, you're a brave one for sure! My old eyes can't make out some of what you've got listed, one that I do see that could be a problem though is mint. It can eventually take over the bed so you may want to rethink that and put it in a pot instead. Artichokes are beautiful indeed but can grow quite large and may overgrow nearby plants. That's a great thing about gardening though, you can always rework your plans as you go along and make changes to suit the space. If you haven't done so you might want to check out one of the community gardens in the area just to see what others are growing and how much space they are allowing for plantings. I don't do square foot per se but I do intensive planting and some things can be crowded and do okay while others need more room. Good luck on your venture, this year has been very tricky temperature wise but your seeds should start popping up with the coming warmer weather.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here