Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eureka_gw

Fungas traveling thru soil

eureka
13 years ago

Yes I'm in CA but in the High Desert where we have red clay. I have read extensively on soil but have yet to see my question addressed. Going to Organic or Soil & Compost forums aren't providing correct answers. With the red clay soil, once water has been added to where plants grow, a white fungas will grow and move through surrounding soil. I understand that fungus is not necessarily all bad but what is growing in my soil is bad as the plants die if the fungus is able to travel to the roots and up to the crown of a plant. When digging and loosening soil & coming upon this white fungus, it reaks of mildewy fungus. When I find it, I dig down to reveal the area of the fungus bringing the white fungus covered sol to the top so it can sit in the sun to kill off the fungus, leaving the hole open also to all gave aur move around it. I also will sprinkle powdered milk on & in the soil which clears fungus. My neighborhood was built 21 yrs ago & I have discovered that our soil runs in ribbons of clay, then sandier soil. Over the years I have used spray soil amenders as the yard is far too big to be digging up, amending, etc. so soil amenders, compost tea or soil soups have helped some area to become easier to dig and plant in. Of course the clay holds water like crazy so I am a stingy waterer. Has anyone come across this same issue & what if anything is the answer to getting rid of this issue?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus