Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nat-like flying bug issues

Posted by carlibaby Phoenix, AZ (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 19, 10 at 0:09

I have a raised bed that is about 6x2x3 filled with cabbage, cauliflower, peas, red peppers, strawberries, spinach and romaine. Everything is growing really well in a compost mixture, but I am having an issue with little nat-like flies. The only way I can describe them is they remind me of nats or fruit flies. There aren't just a few...there are a ton! I was wondering if anyone has any natural suggestions? Whether it be something to spray on that is natural, or a beneficial critter to get...anything! These things are crazy and are even finding ways into my house! Plus, I don't want to sit out on my patio with a bunch of bugs flying around.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nat-like flying bug issues

Probably fungus gnats: not really harmful, but a blamed nuiscance! They may also be a symptom of overwatering, or too much raw organic matter in the mix, which may cause other problems this summer. Try sprinkling mosquito granules around, first. That has a form of B.t. that affects larvae of members of the fly family: mosquitos, gnats, and flies. Beneficial nematodes also help, if you can find them, but they only stay during cool weather. Another possibility is a product containing cedar oil, which burns out the gnat's smelling sensors, disorienting them, and making mating impossible. Be advised that the gnats will also colonize houseplant soil, and sink drains.

Good luck with the little critters!
Kevin : )

o

If you have hummingbirds, you may notice them coming along for dinner, they hover above my compost pile and fill up :o) then off to feed the little ones at home. Obviously I'm OK with them outside :o)

o

I'm infested with them too, because of all the rain. As it warms up and dries out, there will be fewer of them.

Get a moisture meter for plants and be sure you aren't over-watering.

o

Lucky for me they are in a raised container with wheels, so I'll be moving to a more sunny area of the patio this weekend to dry up the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here