Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldenberry

Dwarf Citrus from Four Wind Growers

GoldenBerry
11 years ago

I have limited backyard space here in Tempe, Az. So I planted five citrus dwarf trees from four winds. I am concerned though that they might not thrive in our Akaline soil though dut to thier acid loving cuban shaddock rootstock though. If I apply granular sulfur, iron sulfate, and Epsom salt three times a year will that help? If so, should I do those applications the first year and how much per dwarf?

Comments (12)

• azbolt
    11 years ago

This is my go to chart for fertilizing citrus:
    http://cals.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/html/pubs/MC91.pdf

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilizing Citrus

• GoldenBerry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Kevin,

Does anybody have any luck growing dwarf citrus trees in our alkaline soils? I am beginning to think I should of got standards on sour orange stock and prune them to control their potential size.

• azbolt
    11 years ago

I have a couple of dwarf citrus trees, I don't really treat them any different than my non dwarf varieties. You can put coffee grounds around the tree, pine needles as well to help acidify the ground around them if you are concerned about the alkalinity. You can also use Miracle Gro Azalea, Camellia, Rhododendron Plant Food instead of your regular fertilizer as this helps acidify the soil as well.

Kevin

• AJBB
    11 years ago

The only dwarf citrus rootstock that does well in Arizona is Flying Dragon. Cuban Shaddock is a pretty poor choice for high pH environments and you will be endlessly fighting chlorosis and poor growth. You should apply sulfur and chelated iron every four months to the drip line, following the directions on the packages for application. I usually apply epsom salts at roughly a tablespoon per gallon every six months. Another option is monthly foliar feeding.

• GoldenBerry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bolt do you know if your dwarf trees are on cuban shaddock rootstock? The funny thing is I bought my first dwarf trees from Greenfielf Citrus in Mesa and they had Four wind grower tags on them. I was told that greenfield only sold trees good for our soils.

• GoldenBerry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bolt do you know if your dwarf trees are on cuban shaddock rootstock? The funny thing is I bought my first dwarf trees from Greenfielf Citrus in Mesa and they had Four wind grower tags on them. I was told that greenfield only sold trees good for our soils.

• azbolt
    11 years ago

I think mine have flying dragon, but I wouldn't bet my life on it, I've lost the tags for both...neither suffer from alkine soil issues.

Kevin

• GoldenBerry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kevin, Do you remember where you bought your dwarf trees?

• AJBB
    11 years ago

Greenfield sells some Four Winds Stuff, usually kumquats, on Flying Dragon for those people looking for dwarf plants or for varieties of citrus incompatible with Sour Orange as a rootstock.

• GoldenBerry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I called Greenfield and they said their Four wind grower dwarf trees were not on flying dragon.

• AJBB
    11 years ago

I would recommend you avoid anything on Cuban Shaddock unless you want to baby the tree. If Four Winds is moving away from Flying Dragon, that would suck.

• Heather Leigh
    11 years ago

Just remember to water low and slow. Make sure you water 3 feet down. I only use chicken manure, coffee and tea grounds, some epsom salt and sometimes I bury kitchen waste and paper near the canopy line. My citrus have been pretty happy, and many of them are dwarfs.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting