Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boojum tree

Posted by mastergardenator AZ zone 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 0:23

Hello!
I was at the botanical gardens the other day and saw a boojum tree!

Now I really want one

Where can I buy one of these wonderful trees
and (with regular watering) how fast would it grow if i was able to obtain one?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boojum tree

I grow ours out in the open in full sun (even in the summers) people will tell you they are "winter" growers, but that's not really true,, it is true that they slow down allot in our summers but if they are kept shaded during the summer they continue to grow during our summer months. All mine do fine in our freezes even during the freeze of 06, they can handle temps into the low teens. As far as special care... "Water Them", just allow it to dry out in between irrigation's I think they do best when ignored.

o

I have a boojum tree that is about 20 feet tall. I am in Mohave County in Arizona. Looking to find someone who would like to give this tree a good home for a reasonable cost. Anyone interested?

o

I'm hooked now too. Turtleman, interested in selling some? If you're near Phoenix.

o

OK, so I'm a little slow. I don't click on the link Turtleman provided because I'm so jaded from bad info on the web. So I'm out Goggling Boojum trees because I'm now hooked and must have some today...search, search search and I finally find a place...it's wholesale but they sometimes sell retail and they have a forum. So I sign up and start looking around the forum and who do I find...Turtleman. I come back here to read Turtleman's post a little closer, try the link and its the same source I found after 20 minutes of searching.

I ran into your site months ago and probably registered but lost track.

Turtleman, when is the next quarterly inventory yard sale? I'd rather be able to pick up than ship.

o

Got 4 today. Initially I wanted all 2,000, but talked myself down to 8. Wife talked me down to 4 with that must illogical of questions, "where are they going to go"?

I've always wanted a Grandidier's Baobab, Adansonia grandidieri, which isn't really doable. The Boojum will have to fill that desire. Thanks Turtleman. Always nice getting plants directly from the grower.

o

Reeds # 602-504-9787.

o

I saw one too just yesterday. from what I was told is that the boojum tree will start growing if there is any moisture or rain that has fallen. don't know if that was already said.

o

Waterbug guy, so how are your boojum trees doing? I just got a bunch from Reed about two weeks ago and just put it in the ground before it got too dry. Now I just have to wait. Nick

o

mine is still about 3 inches tall (2 years old)
it dies back in summer and grows back really well in the winter and spring

i have it in a 8in pot thats about foot deep

o

I just got one for my husband for his birthday. We live in the town of Cave Creek. There is a wonderful cactus nursery out here on Cave Creek road just south of Carefree Highway.
We have it inside by a window and it is doing great. I have to just make sure that the D Cats don't chew on it. My husband waters it about once every other week a little water.
The nursery has several sizes all the way to ones costing thousands of dollars.
Mickey

o

Matergardenator and Mickey do guys have plans to put it in the ground? I put mine in this rocky slope part of my yard where it got plenty of sun. I planned on putting in a circular drip during its "growing season" from November through March and we'll see. This is what Reed has on his trees and they are doing great. Now , just have to wait .

o

What nurseries in Phoenix carry boojum trees?

o

Nick, I got mine (10) from a grower in Glendale. His name is Reed( # 602-504-9787), very nice guy who knows his Boojum stuff. His is in 1 gal pot. Arizona Cactus Sales in Chandler has larger size selections. It's their growing season, hope you get some soon. Nick

o

I was just at Arizona Cactus Sales this past weekend and, as usual, they had a nice selection of boojum trees in various sizes, from seedlings to grapefruit-sized trunks to log-sized trunks and then truly giant specimens. Great stuff.

My little boojum in a pot in the southwest corner of my garden looks as happy this week as it has EVER looked. The recent record cold and then record rains didn't bother it at all. I need to get it in the ground SOON.

Happy gardening!
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Arizona Cactus Sales nursery

o

Anyone care to post pics?

o

I have no plans to put mine out side or in the ground. Too many animals eat my plants were I live. I rather take my chances with the cats.
I would love several more if someone finds them real cheap.
Mickey

o

Mickey, I too have lots of critters that eat my stuff. I suspect cotton tails and jack rabbits...boy if only I could round up all of them and put them in a room with my dogs..hmm. I corralled my small boojum trees in the ground with half inch wire mesh that I got from the feed store for $5 . I planted them in staggered rows about six feet apart. I really want to see a groove of Boojum trees in 5-7 years...time will go by fast.

o

Nick,
I live out in the town of Cave Creek. I had a bob cat sleeping in my front court yard! Rabbits and nothing the coyotes keep their numbers down.
My large in size problem was the javelina,so my husband put up a fence so they couldn't climb over the wall any more. To help matters out he also put up an electric fence for me. That helped a lot.
I found the major culprit was the pack rat. I had no clue hoe many pack rats we have out here until I started trapping them. I live trapped 50 this summer. You can not use a poison on rats. I won't go in to my long reason why but the nest creature that eats the poisoned pack rat will be killed. Than includes javelina, all hanks, owls and coyotes.
If you ever have the time you should take a drive up to the cactus nursery up here on Cave Creek Road south of Carefree Highway. Their boujums the larger ones are over 15 feet. They have one there that is split like a y too. It is an amazing place.
Mickey

o

Hey Waterbug_guy, why can't you have a Grandidier's Baobab, Adansonia grandidieri. I love that tree. Wouldn't that tree do great out here in Phoenix. How can we get one? Who's selling that.

o

You can buy seeds on ebay

o

to: riverchick.
Do you still have that Boojum tree you are interested in selling?

Thanks! for the update!

dan

o

Sorry I lost track of this thread. Here's an update after 3 years in the ground.

This one got the most sun, pretty much all day. It's the largest branch wise, but all are about the same trunk wise.

The other 3 were planted on the east side of house, about 5-6' away from the house. As you can see the one closest to the house isn't doing too well, not many leaves. But the leaves it does have look good. Its trunk is as tall as the others but smaller diameter. Because of less sun? Don't know. Given how uniform these all grew relative to amount of sun it's my only guess. It will be interesting to see if growth improves with more sun.

All 4 got the same water....a lot. On drip, pretty much everyday, standing water type deal. Planted in not amended soil which is top soil but a lot of clay. I do turn down the water in middle of summer, but I watered these for months when dormant. They seemed to handle the wet conditions fine.

I water them a lot thinking I could get more growth by extending their season. Nope. As soon as it just starts getting hot the leaves turned brown and they were done til winter. All 4 went brown at the same time and rather suddenly. And it has to get pretty cool to leaf out again. As far as I can tell water (rain or city) doesn't seem to affect leafing out. Kind of like a cat...don't really seem to care what I do, they just do their own thing. A very contrarian plant.

I was thinking of tossing these. I don't really like dead looking stuff. I've been redoing the yard and all 4 had to be moved or removed. After some noodling I found a new spot for them...so moving time.

Biggest was up first. I wrapped the branches because they are a little brittle and not sure how they would react to pruning.

I had no idea what kind of root structure these have so I started digging pretty far out from the trunk. Didn't find many roots at all. Dug down pretty far wondering if there was a tap root.

Turned out no tap root and no roots pointing down. What you see in the pic is pretty much all there was. Dirt fell away pretty easy and it ended up being very light.

The new location is full sun, on an elevated 18" bank I just made. They're right next to the broken concrete retaining wall, so soil wise this is going to be tougher on them.

Once I understood the root structure the other 3 were easy and the soil stayed with the root ball so very little disturbance.

All of a sudden I like these a lot more. Being up off the ground makes seeing their trunks easier. And working with them rekindled my appreciation. The mix of nice little green leaves and almost white branches and horns is attractive imo. The trunks are impressive to me and will be more so as they grow. The horns aren't as bad to deal with as they look which surprised me. Growth seems slow, I don't really notice them grow, but in 3 years they have actually grown a lot. The biggest is 4-5' across now.

One plus to the slow growth is it did allow me to plant them in a spot where a mature plant couldn't be since maturity is a long ways off. I initially placed them into spots they could grow into and I think that was a mistake. In the new spot they already look mature, like they belong, rather as something waiting to grow into a spot.

This week they're my fav desert plant I have. Next summer... probably less fav.

I will dial back the water. The roots look like they're made for sucking up water once in awhile and don't extend very far out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here