Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomato plants have crazy maze like patterns on leafs

Posted by butcher_boy (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 10, 09 at 1:25

Anybody know what this might be?
a few of my plants seem to have these crazy maze looking marks on the leafs.
I checked my tomato book and it looks like it might be leafminers?
the books says to use a pesticide... well what pesticide?
what is a good pesticide to use on vegetables you are going to eat?
argh.. tomatoes are like children always getting into trouble :P

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomato plants have crazy maze like patterns on leafs

• Posted by lva57 Z13 Phoenix, AZ (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 10, 09 at 12:17

Hi! For years I've used neem oil mixed w/ water as a safe, natural pesticide for any plant. I have a graddaughter & pets that play in the yard, so this is very safe since neem oil is derived from a plant. I use it on my tomato plants & edible herbs. You can get neem oil at an Indian or Asian store. I usually mix 1 part neem with 5-6 parts water to start; you can adjust this according to the results you get. Use a heavy duty spray bottle as the mixture may be a little heavy & shake the mixture often as you apply. Spray the soil as well to kill any eggs or larvae that may be nested there. And spray in the evening or very late afternoon - don't spray during the day when the sun is out or your plants may fry. It has a strong, smoky scent which disappears the day after you spray it on the plants. I've always had great success with this neem oil mixture, plus as an added bonus, it's inexpensive as well!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here