Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
honeysuckle

Posted by maranagrls (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 6, 10 at 1:49

hi!
my honey suckle (the orange one) is very sparse and lanky. Growth is coming mostly at the tips. do they need to be cut? like down completely, like you do with lantana?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: honeysuckle

Cutting it back will make it grow in thicker.

o

It should be blooming now. If you cut it back now you won't get blooms until next winter.

o

I usually trim them back right when they're done flowering. That gives it plenty of time to recover and make blooms next blooming season. If yours isn't blooming now, just take a look around town to see if they're blooming in general and then prune yours if you'd like when most of the ones around town have finished blooming.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Take care,
Grant

o

thanks!

o

So what does that mean to cut back? Like you actually cut the plant back down to the ground? Or does this just mean pruning it?

I am very new to successfully growing plants in AZ. Originally I am from more rainy area. I would like to plant more colorful shrubs and flowers but I am very fearful since past tries have ended in some failures, honeysuckle being one.

Anyone know what the hardiest, most full sum tolerant, yet with nice blooms kinds of shrubs are? I do have lantanas but looking to branch out. Oleander is okay but I would really like the wildflower native kind of look.

Any help is appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here