Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vines for a west-facing 6 ft stucco wall?

Posted by scott85258 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 2, 11 at 8:31

I could use some advice. I've searched the vines FAQ and am still not sure what to choose. I have a long (25 ft) west-facing 6 ft. wall and I have installed concrete reinforcing wire for trellis. I need to plant a cover for the wall to provide some heat protection for a new raised bed vegetable garden. I am planting sunflowers in the front of the garden bed for shade, and want to protect the back wall from heat.

What would those of you with some experience recommend? I want something that is evergreen, could be removed if needed (eliminates cats claw, trumpet vine) and ideally attracts hummingbirds.

I am considering Cape Honeysuckle or the Mexican Flame Vine (if I can find it). Having never planted a vine in Arizona, I'd appreciate any advice. I live in Scottsdale. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vines for a west-facing 6 ft stucco wall?

How about something edible and heat-tolerant, but not evergreen?

Armenian cucumber, luffa, hyacinth bean (lab-lab bean) are all annuals.

Flowers nicely, can be removed: Queen's wreath, yellow orchid vine, hardenbergia

o

Thanks. I am getting either the yellow orchid vine or some Ladybanks Roses for that area. Appreciate the feedback.

o

You got some great suggestions and your list of Final Candidates is great too. Let us know what you select and how it works out.

I've got an orange cross vine ('Tangerine Beauty') on a scalding hot south-facing wall and it's done great for almost four years now (and totally undamaged by this winter's freezes). I couldn't be happier with it.

Updates are encouraged. :)
Take care,
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Tangerine Beauty crossvine

o

I spoke with people at 4 nurseries and finally decided on the Ladybanks roses. I planted four yellow ones along the west-facing wall, and a white one in a different area facing south to block off my pool pump/filter from view.

Thanks for the help.

o

why not GRAPES ??? ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here