Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink trumpet vine - invasive?

Posted by plstqd 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 10:06

I'm looking for a plant to grow along a west facing block wall fence, and was considering pink trumpet vine. I've seen it growing by the post office downtown on Central and Fillmore, and it doesn't seem fazed by the heat or the cold. I've been reading reports of it being invasive though, and wonder if that's true for our growing conditions. I have more than enough to do battling cats claw coming up all over my yard from enormous tubers underground, and the last thing I need is yet another invasive vine!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink trumpet vine - invasive?

I've grown three of these vines at various homes and would never consider them invasive. The pink trumpet I planted was Podranea ricosoliana.

o

• Posted by xill none (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 12:20

from what i understand there's two vines using the "Pink Trumpet Vine" common name. Both also have similar latin names, though I can't remember what they are right now. The vine that does well in the southwest is not considered invasive, but from what i've read, the other one that is more common back east can be a pill to eradicate. Maybe someone here can clarify which is which by latin name

o

Hmm. I don't know the species name, because I got these from cuttings from the post office plants (cough, cough...no, I'm not a plant thief...kind of not a plant thief...ok, I'm a plant thief...)

It looks like this, if that helps:

Pink trumpet vine

o

Wow, I think I'm in love! The pink trumpet vine sounds exactly what I've been looking for. Does any one know where I can buy Podranea ricosoliana in the west valley (preferably Peoria / Glendale area)?

Thanks,

Helen

o

The 'other' vine is Pandorea jasminoides 'Rosea' whose common name is Pink Bower Vine. It hails from Australia and will grow in Sunset Zones 16 - 24 (the Phoenix valley is in Zone 13). I've seen it for sale at many of the home improvement stores and sometimes mislabeled Pink Trumpet Vine.

Just check the botanical name to be sure you get the right one. It's grown locally by Mountain States Wholesale Nursery so it should be easy to find at nurseries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Trumpet Vine - Podranea ricasoliana

o

Thank you! I lucked out! I stopped by Lowes on Thunderbird on my way to Summer Winds to check and they had it! It really is a much nicer looking plant than the pandorea Jasminoides. I'm learning so much about AZ gardening from you all! So much in fact that I also couldn't resist a Tecoma x lydia! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here