Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raimeiken1

Hibiscus Mutabilis (Confederate Rose)

ra
13 years ago

Does anyone have any experience growing this plant here in AZ? I can't seem to find anything on google about it growing here.

Comments (11)

• phxplantaddict
    13 years ago

I have 6 of them. Age ranges from 2 year to 7 year.

• ra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow you have everything! LOL

what can you tell me about the plant? like how well does it take the summer heat? full sun or shade? and does it die back in the winter?

• sundrop07
    13 years ago

I have one growing in my mostly desert landscape and it does fine here in our heat in full sun. I have flowers planted under and around it and it only gets watered when I water the flowers and not too deeply either. Do you have one or planning to get one? They're not too common here and strangers stop and ask about it when it's blooming as it's so unusual. It dropps it's leaves late winter after blooming in the fall, mine just leafed out the last week or so.

• ra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just got two of them from EldonTropicals. one is pink and one white :)

• ra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How much growth do you get in a year?

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've posted here-and-there about how happy I am to finally have some H. mutabilis myself. I started them from stem cuttings over the winter (easily rooted in plain water). They've been outside in the ground since February and they're growing like crazy and seem really happy, although every now and then one super young leaf will suddenly turn brown and fall off, but I'm attributing that to heat burn.

In any case, I've got several of them growing really well right now but not a single sign of blooms, so I thought I'd check with our local growers about when their plants bloom.

Sooo, warm-winter/hot-summer folks, can you share what times of years your Confederate roses bloom? I'm hoping that it's spring/autumn and that I just need to wait for the Blast Furnace months to be over, but any first hand experience with bloom time would be great.

I don't have any good pics of the whole plants right now as I'm typing, but here's one from last month and you can see at the VERY bottom some of the foliage sneaking into the pic, LOL.

{{gwi:397603}}

Thanks as always!
    Take care,
    Grant

• ra
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mine are well over 6ft tall now. And they both bloom late fall - winter, then they drop all their leaves in the winter

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Hiya raimeiken and all, thanks for the information! I was hoping it was just a matter of waiting until fall. I'll be patient. I'll attach a different pic of one of my clumps just for fun. Some very hungry caterpillars have moved in so you can see some holes on one branch, but the plant is outgrowing them so I'm just letting things take their natural progression for now. Thanks again for the reply, I sure appreciate it. I'm looking forward to those fall/winter blooms for sure.

Happy gardening all!
    Grant

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

By the way, if anyone knows who this is, please don't be shy. Caterpillars are not an area of expertise for me. Don't worry, I'm not going to harm him/her as the plant is outgrowing the damage. Thanks!

{{gwi:397604}}

Thanks and happy gardening!
    Grant

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

I'm getting e-x-c-i-t-e-d! I see buds forming on all of my Confederate roses in the garden. I can't wait to see the flowers!

{{gwi:397605}}

Soon, I hope, soon.

I have to admit, I have been IN LOVE with the foliage on these plants. I'm not usually a huge admirer of plain green leafy leaves, lol, but these are durable, green, and sort of neat!

{{gwi:397606}}

Happy gardening!
    Grant

• franchez
    2 years ago

Hi Grant! I know this is a very old post, but I'm thinking of getting a Confederate Rose and was wondering how yours are doing?