Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! My lettuce is bitter...

Posted by azbookworm Zone 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 10:57

Help! How do I sweeten my lettuce. I am growing Romaine, green salad lettuce. They are still doing ok. Green. But bitter. What is the soil missing? Ideas?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! My lettuce is bitter...

It could be from the warm days that we have had. Some lettuce is worse for doing this than others.
Lettuce also gets bitter when it bolts.

o

Definitely the heat. Not much you can do about it....water well. Try washing it in some ice water and letting it sit for a while....not allowing it to wilt though.

o
RE: lettuce is bitter...

too much heat for the variety ...

try Burpee's Heat Wave blend, we had GREAT lettuce all last summer ...

o

More shade, more even watering might help.

I had lettuce last year, growing in the shade of a mesquite tree.

http://lazygardens.blogspot.com/2010/07/growing-lettuce-at-110-f.html

o

Thanks. Ordered some Heat Wave seeds. Can't wait to try it.

Will try it in container on back porch and in the raised beds. Just to see what happens.

o

Wow, lettuce all summer? I cant even imagine trying in the shade! I have to get me some of that! I'm growing Bakers Creek Rocky Top mix in the shade right now, planted about six weeks ago and it's still sweet, which I'm pretty amazed by.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here