Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houseful_gw

Questions regarding two different yuccas

houseful
13 years ago

Hello,

I am new to this forum, but I do frequent THS.

First, I have a huge (what I think is a) banana yucca. It looks as if it fell over even before we bought this house 16 years ago. It is thriving, but I know there are critters living under it, including snakes. I would like to thin it and transplant some cuttings. Does anyone know how to do this successfully?

Second, I have a couple red yuccas that are just stagnate. The do not get any direct water. However, there lantana around it that do get water in the summer once a week. I assume they are not getting enough water, but didn't think they needed much. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Hiya and welcome to the forum. We hope you post often. :)

Your banana yucca sounds impressive! They're famous for growing with a bent/prostrate sort of habit instead of upright like some other types. A lot of yucca can be propagated from stem cuttings, although a quick internet search didn't show anything for banana yucca, so it might be more resistant? I've propagated other yuccas from cuttings by cutting off a stem that has a nice rosette of foliage on it, stripping off the lower dried leaves if present, letting it air dry overnight or so, and then planting it in the ground, so that might be worth a try? Again though, I didn't see anyone listing that species as one that works from cuttings so you'll be taking a gamble. Let us know what you do and how it works out.

I love red yuccas too (Hesperaloe parviflora). They do great in many parts of Arizona. Mine get water once a week in summer and then once a month in winter and they've done really well.

Good luck with yours. Keep us posted!
    Take care,
    Grant

• kelly_girl
    13 years ago

The hesperaloe is one of my favorite desert plants. I have yellow and red. The ones on my drip line bloom yearly and look great. Those off the drip just kind of sit there, so it is likely lack of water making them stagnate. I'm new here too. After multiple random searches have brought me to this forum
    , I've finally joined!

• houseful
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both!

I am going to try to carefully slice of a stem and see what happens. I don't see why it won't work if it works for other varieties. I will let you know.

I don't have anything on a drip, so I think I'll put the hose on the hesperaloe and see what happens over the next few weeks.

I probably will post more. I am becoming almost obsessed with cacti. They are such amazing plants. I have 15 about varieties on my property and would like to learn about and collect more. This is the place to do that!

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Great! Keep us posted on how your Yucca Experiment works out, plus any changes to the hesperaloes once they get more water.

Only one clump of my hesperaloes is on a drip--I water the others myself, but once a week in summer and once a month in winter isn't much work for me at all, and they certainly don't mind if I go out of town and they miss a watering winter or summer. I love them.

We hope to see lots of posts from both of you on the forum. It's a great place to spend some time, whether asking questions, answering questions, or just sharing gardening updates.

Take care and post often. :)
    Grant

• houseful
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Grant!

Spent Sunday at in-laws and finally snagged some cactus from them that I've been meaning to get for awhile. Turns out, one of them is a different variety of yucca. It grows more like an agave in that the new shoots have roots. Those should be fine. However, I didn't manage to get the roots on one baby, so I think I will experiment with this one before I tackle that banana yucca.

I also got three different aloes and some sort of small barrel. I am eyeballying five more varieties from a couple neighbors who I think would love to trade!

• houseful
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So glad I didn't cut my banana yucca, because the my soaptree and the babies I got from in-laws all died. :(

The red yuccas are doing great!

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Good thing you didn't cut the banana yucca! Glad the hesperaloes are doing well for you. They are addictive, LOL. Keep us posted!

Take care and thanks for the update!!
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: My May 2011 garden pics

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022