Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

Hippeastrum striatum blooming in the garden

grant_in_arizona
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just for fun I thought I'd share some pics of a plant I've been growing for several years in my garden: Hippeastrum striatum. My plants are grown from seed from a friend's heirloom plant that has been shared through her family for generations. We helped ID her plant and she shared seeds as a thank you.

Anyway, I've been growing it in the ground and in pots for several years now. Whether in the ground or in pots they get winter sun and summer shade. They make a huuuuuuge flush of blooms in late winter, with occasional blooms all summer long. What's not to love?

The flowers are smaller than the big Dutch hybrid amaryllis, but they're my favorite color, orange, and they are very, very productive so they've become one of my favorites. The foliage is nice and narrow and evergreen too. So easy to keep happy. I hope you'll take a quick look and enjoy. I saw ten bloom stalks popping up this morning and I'm sure more are on their way. Here's the first bloom of the season.

{{gwi:390951}}

Happy gardening!

Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden pics so far March 2012

Comments (12)

• Pagancat
    12 years ago

TEN??? OMG! I can hardly wait to see a picture of *that*!

So, supplemental watering? Winter only? Tell us all about it!

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for looking/commenting, Pagan! These really are easy, fun plants. I'll definitely post a pic or two when more blooms open up. This is a pot-buster plant that's for sure. I just slop water on it once a week autumn and winter, and then maybe twice a week in summer. It gets summer sun and winter shade, plus general all purpose water soluble fertilizer spring and summer. It's really easy to keep happy in pots or in the ground, and the bulbs store enough moisture that the plant is okay even when I'm away from home for work or fun which happens very often for me. I love it!

Here's a pic of a pot full of bulbs.

{{gwi:390952}}

Thanks again for commenting. Happy gardening all!
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from my garden so far March 2012

• Pagancat
    12 years ago

Huh - even in a terracotta pot, only once or twice in summer? That's great. Is that in your southern exposure?

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yup and yup. Now you can see why I'm such a fan, LOL. Great durable plants (just remember they get mostly shade in summer). Thanks for looking/commenting. I'll add some more pics when more blooms are open. Happy gardening all!

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I accidentally broke one of the many flower stalks off while working in the garden this weekend. Here it is in a small glass vase in my den. They make surprisingly good cut flowers. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, right? I broke a stem but now I have a nice little flower to enjoy indoors, along with tons of the main plant outdoors.

{{gwi:390955}}

Thanks

{{gwi:390956}}

Happy gardening everyone!
    Grant

• Pagancat
    12 years ago

Very nice. Love your prints, Grant.

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Pagan, and all. Here are two other pics from this morning, one just showing a big pot of this Hippeastrum blooming at the right, and the other showing a closer view of a single bloom with a "felt plant" (Kalanchoe beharensis) in the background. Happy gardening all!

{{gwi:390962}}

{{gwi:390964}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from my garden March 2012

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, just a couple more since it's just such a fun, giving plant:

{{gwi:390969}}

That's Hippeastrum reticulatum 'Mrs. Garfield' at the bottom with variegated foliage. Tennis ball included to show relative size.

{{gwi:397681}}

Happy gardening!
    Grant

• ra
    12 years ago

Grant, I love all your container! where do you get all your pots from? and how often do you water in the summer?

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I get containers from a lot of places: Baker Nursery (great for colorful glazed Talavera pots), Berridge Nursery, Lowes Hardware, Home Depot, Shady Way Nursery (out in AJ but great plants and a nice selection of unusual pots), just about anywhere really. I try to stick to terracotta and talavera or red glazed pots, just to try to keep things from being too scattered colorwise (for the pots anyway, anything goes when it comes to plants!). Thanks for looking/commenting! Happy gardening (and pot shopping!), Grant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics, so far, from my garden April 2012

• Nancy Mumpton
    12 years ago

Hi Grant,
    In your post on March 24th you said "summer sun and winter shade." Later in another post you said summer shade. I have ordered them from PBS and want to get it right! Which is what you do?

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hah! I made a typo, Nancy, thanks. They get WINTER SUN and then SUMMER SHADE of course, that way they get sun when it's weaker and cooler and shade when it's ferociously strong. Thanks for checking. Great luck with yours! Keep an extra pot handy if/when they break their current pot, LOL. Great plants!

Take care,
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: April 2012 pics (so far) from my garden