Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Lemon Tree has yellow leaves

Posted by honu1 1 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 18, 06 at 11:36

Hi -- I just got a Lisbon lemon tree and I'm a bit concerned about the color of the new leaves. I wish I could attach a photo, but: they're yellow with green veins. At first I thought it's something I did (or didn't do), but I looked at photos I took just after planting, and the leaves looked the same. Any ideas on what this means or what I should do? I don't want to lose my beautiful new tree!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Lemon Tree has yellow leaves

Here's a photo of the leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of leaves

o

Lemon trees are the largest of the citrus (unless you have a dwarf) and usually produce a bountiful crop. Your photo is great. Yellowing of new leaves generally means the tree isn't pulling enough iron from the soil. Yellowing of older leaves can be an indication that your tree isn't able to absorb enough nitrogen from the soil. When soils are cool it is harder for plants to process the nutrients. The same is true for soils that are too moist - the roots need oxygen in order to use the nutrients.

As long as you are watering correctly I wouldn't be too concerned about your tree. The new leaves on your tree look ok and you have blossoms. Experts don't recommend fertilizing trees that have been in the ground less than one year. I bet as the soil temperatures begin to warm your tree will take on a darker green appearance. The leaves that already show chlorosis (yellowing between the veins) will not improve, but the new growth should be fine.

Here's a link to information on watering and fertilizing citrus.

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus care plus fertilizing and watering

o

Thanks! No, it's not a dwarf -- it was in a 24-inch box and is already ~8" tall. Before I got your message, I figured the problem was iron absorption caused by the "soil" here. So I went out and bought Hi-Yield Iron Plus (11-0-0) to acidify the soil and give it iron. I don't know how old the tree is, but I hope I haven't hurt it by adding the iron. Can't do anything about it now, so I'll wait and see.

Thanks again!

o

Great link - thanks Cathy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here