Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato transplant - spacing of plants

Posted by ldramey01 Arizona (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 11:46

I'm a newbie to vegetable gardening and have a question on tomato plant spacing and possibly transplanting some of mine. I started some tomato plants and they're all doing well, but some much better than others and I think it may be due to planting them close together. I have raised beds with great soil and was told I could get away with packing my beds fuller than you'd be able to in desert soil. I was limited on space when I first planted but now have opened up a lot more space with great exposure for tomatoes, should I transplant some of the smaller plants that aren't doing that well into the better location or are they too fragile? Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato transplant - spacing of plants

I guess it all depends. Are your varieties determinant or indeterminate? Are you caging them or staking them or weaving them or trellising them or just letting them sprawl?

o

I have Roma, Patio and Celebrity tomatoes and I'm staking the plants that have grown very quickly (and tall). Hope that helps and I really appreciate any advice, thanks!

o

2-4 feet apart depending on variety ... they need AIR and LIGHT to reduce molds, mildews and other diseases ... plus this gives you easy access to address critters and to prune, pick fruit ...

o

All three are determinate varieties. You do know you are going to get a lot of tomatoes all at once and then all your plants are going to die? Anyway I would stake them 2ft apart as they are short lived and relatively small as far as tomato plants go.

You should go to the link at the bottom and read it.

Here is a link that might be useful: What is the difference between

o

Spacing is a number that varies from person to person. It also depends on how you grow and care for them. I grow indeterminate toms with 18 inch spacing in my raised bed. But I cage and prune them. I try to grow more for variety than quantity. Some wouldn't consider going this close while others may go with 12 inch spacing.

I've only grown Roma once, but 18 inch spacing was doable. The plant didn't get very big for me so maybe I got lucky. I'd say a 2 foot spacing is more than adequate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here