Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrubs as fence for Javalinas?

Posted by jakeym91 Arizona (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 11:47

I would like to keep out the Javalinas from my property and i was thinking a natural solution would be best. So i was wondering if anybody could suggest plants/shurbs i can use as a "fence" that they can't/won't get through?

Also i have been considering an electric wire fence in addition to that. Does anybody have any experience with that. I am particularly worried about children etc. I was thinking maybe i could use the wire fence along the shrubs so nobody would even notice it and couldn't step on it on accident (as its tied unto the shrubs)? But of course i don't want any damage to the shrubs from the electric wire (Does anyone know if there could be a damage or even a fire?)?

Thank you for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrubs as fence for Javalinas?

I don't think shrubs will have ANY deterrent effect on javelina's. We talked about this a while back, here's a link - below - to a thread:

I'm not sure about the answer to your question re: the electric fence burning the shrubs. As a child I once ran into an electric cattle fence and can tell you it was no fun at all whatsoever. Concealing it from the pigs also conceals it from non-predatory types as well. I'd be careful with that idea.

Good luck, those animals can be a real nuisance! (if you search Garden Web, with the search box in top right of screen, there's lots of hits that may be helpful.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Javelina Fences

o

Well, you could install an ocotillo fence if you live in the Phoenix, Tucson or Yuma area where hard freezes are scarce. It is living and gets stronger with age unlike nonliving fences, but it does require some annual pruning and initial watering until established. Flowers too! Feeds hummingbirds. You buy them in 10 foot rolls and unroll and plant. Likely not prohibited by HOAs, CCRs or municipalities because they haven't thought of living fences.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~camartin/plants/Plant html files/fouquieriasplendens.html

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/documents/110125_AGFD_fencing_guidelines.pdf [4 foot high chain link or block wall supposedly good enough.]

http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/natresources/az1481h
Fences or walls should be at least 4 feet tall (over 6 feet to be most effective) and buried at least 8 inches into the ground to be a long-term, effective barrier for animals such as javelina.

Once fenced you can try to spread around flowers and other plants they reportedly don't like the smell of:
http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/az1238.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: picture

This post was edited by Fascist_Nation on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 18:35

o

Wow FN, I didn't know you could buy ocotillo fencing in 10' rolls. I really like that idea. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here