Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aphid issues already!

Posted by CaptainInsano 9b (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 11:52

It seems ants are aphid farming on my wonderful pomegranate, and spreading to my tomatoes. I squish the suckers when I see them, I spray down the plants with the hose semi regularly, and spray a dish detergent and water solution on the leaves top and underside, and aphids but doesn't seem to work, I tried ladybugs before but they all took off, was thinking of mantis but it will probably be the same as the ladybugs. I didn't have any issues with aphids last year until late summer, and resorted to using pesticides on my little pumpkin patch, I know its the ants spreading them around, and I really don't mind the ants but if they get to my artichokes then I will nuke everything. Any ideas? I don't want to have to scrap this gardening year before it has really begun. I am not opposed to pesticides but I have blueberries blooming and don't want to affect the bees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aphid issues already!

dish soap always works for me, maybe your solution needs to be a little stronger. I put 1-2 tbl spoons in a 1 gallon sprayer and don't spray in the hot sun. I use the cheap dish soap from the $ store. That should suffocate them.

o

Lacewings should help. The catch is that the most cost-effective form is eggs, and they take a couple weeks to grow up into delightfully murderous little buglets.

o

It is too cold for lacewings. Have to wait until it is getting over 90F.

I buy the liquid detergent pesticide in the garden enters. Made and formulated specifically for plants and usually runs under $7 a squirt bottle. Dawn works well for homemade, but I do not like the imprecise nature of homemade remedies as it can harm your plants.

o

I have already noticed lacewings in my yard, but I am still going to spray the pomegranate where the ants are farming the aphids. I will look for the detergent pesticide when I stop by the store today. Thanks!

o

It is too cold for lacewings. Have to wait until it is getting over 90F.

I've seen them already in Phoenix. They showed up right after the first few aphids on the tomatoes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here