Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goofyyno

Peach and pomegranate tree

goofyyno
12 years ago

Hi, I was walking though Lowes to pick up stuff for drip system, when my son set is eyes on some fruit trees. I don't usually make spur of the moment purchases like this, nor do I usually buy plants from box stores, but I couldn't resist.

Planted a peach and pomegranate tree in full sun yesterday.

any advise on what to do now to keep these things alive?

Comments (7)

• hellbound
    12 years ago

what kind of peach and where are you located?

• pgde
    12 years ago

Pomegranates can be treated just like citrus in watering and fertilizing regimes. However, they are deciduous and don't seem to mind the cold. Where are you?

• goofyyno
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm in north scottsdale (grayhawk area). the peach is a Babcock, the pomegranate wonderful.

• greendesert
    12 years ago

I planted a pomegranate (wonderful) in full sun last year. It was (still is) tiny, it deals with the heat just fine, they do fine here, I wouldn't worry about it.

I also planted a babcock peach. I planted it next to a block fence on the west side of my house. It gets some shade in the afternoon and I have junk near it that shades the soil, so that should help. I've tried a nectarine in full sun before, and it didn't do well. They can do ok once they're established, but until then, they have a hard time with full Arizona sun in the summer.
    BTW, mine was full of flowers and has several baby peaches on it. I soaked the roots in superthrive and Vitamin B and also a little hydrogen peroxide to help it deal with the transplant shock. I know I should remove the fruit from it to give it a better chance, but I'm not sure I can get myself to do it.

I also bought my fruit trees on a spur of the moment, it just was a good deal, plants looked healthy and I've been wanting those varieties for quite a while. Here's to harvesting some nice pomegranates and peaches in a few years!

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Congrats on the new plants, you've gotten some great advice on keeping them happy. Definitely let us know how they do for you. Like others mentioned, they both drop their leaves in winter and re-sprout in spring, so don't worry when they turn yellow and drop leaves in autumn. Have fun and do keep us posted! Happy (productive!) gardening! :)

• zaftman
    10 years ago

This is my second summer for my pomagrante tree, it's seems to like more water than my citrus trees.
    I think I have been under watering it this year
    Also they are getting what looks like sun burn, I live on a west ridge and it gets full sun
    The first year the birds poked holes in all my fruit, this year I put anti bird foil strips in the tree and I have had no problems

• v8vega
    10 years ago

My Pomagranate (Wonderful) has been in the ground for about 5 years. It's in full sun & grows at an insane rate. I chop it down to about 4' high every winter & it's back to 15 ' high by the end of May. Uses next to no water, but I deep water every few weeks in summer.