Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I transform Ficus houseplant into AZ Tree

Posted by azbookworm Zone 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 12:11

Good day folks,

I have a ficus house plant. Wondering if I can transplant it outside and have it survive the AZ weather. Anyone try this?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I transform Ficus houseplant into AZ Tree

You can try, but Ficus are poorly adapted for any but the very warmest parts (10a) of the Valley, i.e., downtown, west Mesa, Tempe, etc. They take all manner of damage whenever temps go sub-freezing, though they frequently recover, if only until the followimg winter.

o

Ficus benjamini ??? Taking them outside in the shade for summer is good, but they freeze back unless you have a really sheltered location for them, like in an atrium with shadecloth overhead, or under a patio overhang.

o

Tried it here in Camp Verde 8b. It was hugh, brought it from CA. Put it under the patio, did Ok until winter and that did it in. My beautiful ficus was no more. The only thing that may work which I wish I would of thought of , is put the pot on some thing with wheels. Then you can roll it into the house for winter (2-3 mo.) with a little help and back out side for the rest of the year.

o

I've seen a few around the Valley, but like everyone mentioned, unless they are in a very protected spot in a warm microclimate (and even then) they get significant damage in cold winters. Same goes for rubber trees (Ficus elastica) and some others. Let us know if you go for it, and how it works out! Happy gardening!

o

Here I was worried about the heat/sun. I forgot about the cold weather.

Thanks all!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here