oxboy555

Need a climbing vine for hot cinderblock wall

oxboy555
10 years ago

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Comments (13)

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

There are lots of options, but my personal favorite is 'Tangerine Beauty' Crossvine. I've had one climbing a south facing wall in full, hot, amazing sun for years and it's done great. It has a huge flush of blooms in mid spring, and again in autumn, with sporadic flowers all summer long. Mine looks good 365 days a year and has needed no protection in winter or summer. It needs some help climbing, but does grab a bit on its own too. Here's a quick pic of mine--it gets watered twice a month in winter and once a week in summer (Scottsdale, AZ, part of the greater Phoenix metro)

I'm sure you'll get lots of other good suggestions too. Let us know what you pick and how it works out. Happy gardening! Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Tangerine crossvine summary from Monrovia nursery

• newtoucan
    10 years ago

Passion fruit spreads fast and I had no trouble during summer but unprotected during winter, it dies back. Flowers are amazing though. I never got any fruit even though it covered a whole wall in one season.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    10 years ago

toucan, takes a couple of years or so to get fruit, Passion vine is very cool. I like Grant's crossvine too!! Just don't plant cat claw..........grrrrrr.

• oxboy555
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What's wrong with Cat Claw??

• ra
    10 years ago

great thread! I'm planning on doing this too. At first I wanted the look of the creeping fig covered walls but they can't really take the afternoon sun.

Grant, how do you help the vine, is it on a trellis? does it grab onto the wall by itself like the creeping fig?

• oxboy555
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Still waiting Mary to know what's wrong with Cat's Claw....help?

• sundrop07
    10 years ago

Cat's Claw is a great vine if you want it to cover everything it touches and can damage stucco on walls, will creep under shingles on roofs and is very hard to remove as it grows and spreads from underground tubers.

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

Raimeken, I help my vine climb with those little glue-on tabs that each have a wire loop (pic of just one of many brands attached). You glue them to the wall and then use twist ties or string to help it get started. It DOES grab the wall a bit on its own, especially new young shoots, but helping it get started makes a big difference. Happy gardening all! Grant

• pammiegee
    9 years ago

I need help with my hardenbergia lilac vines. The new leaves are so yellow that they are almost white. They are planted in containers. I have used a balanced fertilizer with no change in leaf color. Next I treated with a small amount of Ironex and still no change. What am I doing wrong?

• grant_in_arizona
    9 years ago

A lot of lilac vines turn white in summer when they get more sun than they want. I would try ironex at label instructions one more time, and then just wait. Some down the street from me face northwest and in summer the new growth turns almost-white, but the plants green up again in winter and spring and still flower nicely.

How long have you had yours and how much sun are they getting?

Happy gardening!
    Grant

• mingtea
    9 years ago

I think Mascagnia is a lovely vine.

-Ming

• pammiegee
    9 years ago

Thanks, Ming. I have high hopes for it.
    @Grant: Thanks for your info. Yes, the vines are in too much sun but they have been doing ok until now. I read that they don't want any phosphorous so it was the balanced fertilizer that I shouldn't have done. I'm going to take your advice and give them another small dose of Ironex and just wait. I'm new here and just got them in the late winter when they were in bloom. Thanks again.

• Y H
    2 years ago

Pm" a girl

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio