Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade trees in AZ: Fantex Ash, Chinese Elm, or Holly Oak?

Posted by Pauly_in_AZ 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 12:26

Good morning gardenwebbers. One of my fav lists by far. So im in the hunt for a new shade tree here in the Phoenix desert. I've now tried Ficus and Shamel Ash to a not-so-impressive outcome (Ficus killed by frost, Shamel Ash hit hard by frost too). So went looking around at the nurseries, looking for the overall best alignment to these requirements:
...1) providing shade in the summer, (ie, grow large)
...2) tolerating both frost AND baking summer heat
...3) not being too messy/invasive/problematic
...4) moderate to fast growth
So far, the three trees that meet these criteria nicely are the Fan Tex Ash, the Chinese Elm, and the Holly Oak. Among my subjective opinions of the three: The Fan Tex is pretty close to the Shamel Ash and i've not been happy with its handling of frost this 2013 winter, so Im skittish it may be more of the same. The Chinese elm.. its leaves are little and its scraggly looking. The Holly Oak, i like its name, but wonder if the tree will really grow large or just be a medium-size overgrown bush (ya, i know its a tree, just being smartaleck).

Looking for other experiences out there, your help/suggestions appreciated. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade trees in AZ: Fantex Ash, Chinese Elm, or Holly Oak?

I vote for Fantex Ash. It goes dormant in winter. Not a single problem frost. It puts on slow to moderate growth, but is not invasive. Nice shade and a very beautiful symmetrical tree.

Chinese evergreen ash is also nice. Small leaves but beautiful trunk and nice canopy. The drake variety is supposed to be a faster grower. Also goes dormant in winter and no probs with frost.

Can't go wrong with either one.

o

I vote for Chinese Evergreen Elm (Ulmus parvifolia). They don't mind our heat, salty soils and are cold hardy to 20 degrees. Only deciduous for a couple months in winter - they are leafing out now.

Ash trees (including Fantex) are huge water guzzlers and IMO not appropriate for most landscapes in the desert.

Here is a link that might be useful: Evergreen Elm

o

be carefull with those chineese elms they can be quite invasive like to upheave walls and concrete the rio grande or shamel ash is better or if you don't mind the acorns the southern like oaks are really nice

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here