Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Milk and Molasses

Posted by tomatofreak Z9 Phx USA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 12:35

A very interesting article from Mother Earth News. The benefits of molasses in the garden aren't news to me, but milk? Didn't know that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milk and molasses

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Milk and Molasses

Interesting article! I've used milk before as a spray on my roses to effectively rid them of powdery mildew - has to be done in the morning so that the moisture doesn't sit overnight on the leaves. Makes sense that molasses would work on a compost pile - will have to try that!

o

Hmmm. I wonder if milk and molasses would work on keep squash bugs at bay. I have employed (planted) every old wives tale I could find in my "squash neighborhood," including jicama, catnip, radishes, dill and nasturtium. I'm about to add borage too. I was decimated last year but partly because I went to vacation for two weeks so wasn't home to protect my pretty plants.

o

So the radish idea, planting radish seeds around the squash vine, didn't work? I had hopes for that one.

o

Its too soon to tell about the radishes; I did plant them underneath this season. I won't know until May or June-ish when the little buggers start showing themselves. It is my fervent hope that I won't see any at all :-)

o

Whenever I've used milk in the garden, I got ants galore. Same for egg shells. How about your experience with molasses? Seems like it could attract other bugs.

o

My experience with molasses is in general is less bugs. I used a couple of sow thistles as test plants that were next to each other. The on that wasn't sprayed had hundreds of aphids, the one that was sprayed 2x a week for 3 weeks was bigger, less powdery mildew, only a few winged aphids and no youngsters. And about double the blooms.

So I have started using it on my tomatoes and no aphids so far, just a few winged ones here and there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here