Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New garden and plant questions

Posted by agility_mom z9 AZ (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 12:39

So, after 2 1/2 years of starting an enclosed garden structure it is almost finished and I can actually have a garden again.

I have already planted several things but I came across a some seeds that I had ordered but have never grown before.

Has anyone ever grown Jicama, Hyacinth Bean or Jacob's tears? I have no idea as to why I would order Jacob's tears, it must have been a freebie or I was online too late at night :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New garden and plant questions

Hyacinth bean is quite easy in Phoenix.

I've never tried the other two

o

I ordered and planted jicama seeds. They went in 3 weeks ago and have yet to sprout. I read somewhere they take 12 to 18 days. I didn't soak them first and they're in a corner that stays shaded by the cinderblock. But the sunflowers came up and they're in the same situation so I have hope. I'll keep you posted.

o

I have concrete blocks around the bottom 2 feet of my enclosure but maybe I will put them on the south side so they will have sun for the upcoming months.
The package says that the seeds and pods are poisonous so i'll have to check that out farther.

I need easy right now especially so the hyacinth beans sound perfect.

Thank you both!

o

you'll love the hyacinth beans...they are a vine...old time favorite...the indian

o

They sound pretty as well as something that you can eat.

I wanted to plant some sunflowers but my "roof" is only 8 feet high and so far the sunflowers that I found grow 12 feet tall.

o

One of my jicama seeds sprouted today. Yippee! I mainly planted them because they're said to help repel squash bugs; but I did plant either 5 or 6 in the far back corner because of the whole toxic thing.

I have some dwarf sunflower seeds that are supposed to only grow about 5' tall. I'm pretty sure I picked them up at Walmart or Home Depot last year. I'm happy to share if you're anywhere near the southeast valley.

o

BasilGirl, thank you for your kind offer. I do live in the Southeast Valley. However, after I get these last few seeds planted, my garden is pretty much filled up for now. My garden enclosure is 25' X 50' but after getting everything in there, I kind of wish it was bigger :)
It is good to know for the new planting though. I will look for some dwarf sunflowers. My chickens will love them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here