Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sguanzon

Peach tree questions

sguanzon
18 years ago

My husband and I would really like to have a peach tree.

We have a limited selection of spaces to put it in and I would like to know:

Does it need to be shaded or partially shaded?

Is there one type you would recommend over another.

What about sources for the peach tree, any recommendations for good places to get one or warnings about bad places?

Any tricks or tips appreciated!

Comments (7)

• jimdaz
    18 years ago

Some Peach trees do ok in our area, but are short lived. Maybe about 15 years. The most important things to look for would be self-fruitful, and the requirement of very low chilling hours. My next door neighbor has a peach, in the back yard. Also, pruning is very important for fruit production. I have attached some information from the Extension Office.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit and Nut Trees

• birdlady_in_mesa
    18 years ago

Full sun for a peach tree. They do need plenty of water, so make sure you create a 'well' around the base, at least 4' in diameter and about 5-6" deep. As Jim notes, they only last about 15 years here, but heck, 15 years of eating sweet juicy warm peaches in the summer is heaven in my book!

I don't know what part of the valley you are in, but Schnepf's Peach Farm in Queen Creek has a great Peach Festival every year. If you can wait that long *grin* you can try several different varieties of peaches and talk to the people who can give you first hand information on their varieties and preferences. Plus you can have lots of peaches!

Susie

• sguanzon
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you so much for your help and information. I knew I could count on you guys!

• frangipaniaz
    18 years ago

We have one and we don't prune it and neglect it often and have had it for atleast 20 years... and it keeps putting out more and more fruit... hmm
    Brittany

• Desert_Heat
    18 years ago

Unfortunately it is to late to plant bare root. You want to plant one in late Dec-January that will have as much time in the ground as possible before it gets really hot. Most nurseries and the big box stores will have them. Like Jim said it is very important to get a low chill one. Earligrande peaches are a good variety for our area. I have a Florida Prince which requires less chill hours (150) planted in the coldest part of the backyard. It burned up pretty bad last summer (Its first) despite the label saying it is well adapted for the desert. It rebounded nicely in the fall and is growing like a weed right now. I am eagerly awaiting the ripening of the 5 peaches I left on the tree.

• melaz38
    17 years ago

By "burned up," are you referring to something happening to the bark by chance? I know when we bought our peach tree, the guy at the nursery warned about protecting the tree from some infestation/infection. This is our tree's second year, and the bark has disappeared, starting from the middle of the top of the trunk and spreading to the branches appearing to "burn" or boil right off of the tree. The tree still produced the expected amount and type of healthy leaves and plenty of fruit that are ripening on schedule. Any ideas? Thanks!

• misshorserider_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I was wondering which variety of peaches grow best in the Phoenix, AZ area. Thank you for your help!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor