Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kriklaf

Bergamot citrus in AZ?

kriklaf
11 years ago

Hi, all - I'm new to the site. I have a few dwarf citrus in containers, and I'm looking for a bergamot citrus tree (preferably also dwarf) to join them. I'm having no luck finding them in Arizona. Does anyone know of a nursery in AZ that carries them? If not, have any of you had luck with requesting a specialty item from a nursery? I know Four Winds growers (in CA) both grows bergamots and ships to AZ nurseries, but I don't know if they only certify certain varieties for interstate shipping. Lastly, I've read that bergamot will propagate from seed. Does anyone know whether it's breaking any citrus protection laws to plant seeds from a citrus fruit, provided that fruit can be legally shipped here?
Thanks!

Comments (6)

• Juttah
    11 years ago

Mesquite Valley Growers here in Tucson had one or two Bergamot orange trees, but that was several years ago. They have a large selection of citrus trees, including several hard-to-find citrus varieties. Give them a call at (520) 721-8600.

• kriklaf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I called, and they don't have them now. I mentioned that I'd seem them online at Four Winds, and the woman took my name and said she'd ask them for me! If it pans out I'll be sure to follow up.

• desert_dawg
    11 years ago

I saw one at Baker Nursery a couple of weeks ago. They only had one though. I was surprised to see it. I did not know that the oil in Earl Grey Tea was from a citrus. I hope it is still there.

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

I've always wanted to try bergamot citrus here, so definitely let us know if you get one (and from where) and how it does for you. Such a great, historic old plant. We're looking forward to updates! Happy gardening!

• babaloo363
    8 years ago

I am also hunting for a bergamot citrus tree - has anyone had any luck - these posts are all from 2013 and it's now 2015. Any luck anyone?

• kriklaf
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hey, I still get email notifications about this thread!

Unfortunately, I haven't found a bergamot. I'm at Mesquite Valley Growers a few times a year, and I ask every time. They've never had one when I ask, and usually the person I ask is unaware that the variety exists. I haven't yet asked them if I could special-order one - I always mean to but then am in a time crunch when I'm there in person. Next time I go I'll be sure to do that first, as opposed to as an afterthought.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services