Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bergamot citrus in AZ?

Posted by kriklaf none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 13:21

Hi, all - I'm new to the site. I have a few dwarf citrus in containers, and I'm looking for a bergamot citrus tree (preferably also dwarf) to join them. I'm having no luck finding them in Arizona. Does anyone know of a nursery in AZ that carries them? If not, have any of you had luck with requesting a specialty item from a nursery? I know Four Winds growers (in CA) both grows bergamots and ships to AZ nurseries, but I don't know if they only certify certain varieties for interstate shipping. Lastly, I've read that bergamot will propagate from seed. Does anyone know whether it's breaking any citrus protection laws to plant seeds from a citrus fruit, provided that fruit can be legally shipped here?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bergamot citrus in AZ?

Mesquite Valley Growers here in Tucson had one or two Bergamot orange trees, but that was several years ago. They have a large selection of citrus trees, including several hard-to-find citrus varieties. Give them a call at (520) 721-8600.

o

Thanks! I called, and they don't have them now. I mentioned that I'd seem them online at Four Winds, and the woman took my name and said she'd ask them for me! If it pans out I'll be sure to follow up.

o

I saw one at Baker Nursery a couple of weeks ago. They only had one though. I was surprised to see it. I did not know that the oil in Earl Grey Tea was from a citrus. I hope it is still there.

o

I've always wanted to try bergamot citrus here, so definitely let us know if you get one (and from where) and how it does for you. Such a great, historic old plant. We're looking forward to updates! Happy gardening!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here