Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trumpet Vine

Posted by allison253 Phoenix (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 08 at 13:28

I bought a trumpet vine last fall and planted it against the south wall of my front porch. I need to get something to support it and encourage it to grow up and out. I know it does wonderfully along a post but I want it to grow all over the wall. Any suggestions on what to use. I have a v shaped wood trellis, but I am thinking about a large square trellis since I want it to spread. Thanks for your help.

Allison

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trumpet Vine

Use masonry anchors and wire to adhere cattle panels along the wall, it will be invisible and give the vine all it needs to cover the whole thing.

o

What is a cattle panel? Where do you get them?
Thanks

o

A farm supply or the rebar area of a big box store.

Here is a link that might be useful: cattle panel

o

Thanks for the info. The picture of was very helpful.
You are right. That would make a perfect trellis. I went to Home Depot and Lowes here in Chandler AZ to find and buy. Neither had that exact product. They had a rolled material similar to the cattle panel but it is a thin, flexible guage wire used for concrete reinforcement.
Do you know of any farm/ag supply stores in the SE Metro PHX area that carries this item? I called 2 Mesa farm supply stores to find - no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

o

I'm afraid I don't know, haven't bought them myself. Have seen other gardeners use them as trellises on other forums, they seemed to be a readily available product :(

o

shadetree... if you found the cattle panels, please let me know where. I'm here in Chandler as well and haven't found any yet.

o

You can use anchors which can be glued on the wall. Local nurseries have them something like $10 for bag of 50. I saw these on my wall when i bought the house. thin wire was run through the loop on the anchor.
Looks like this. Pack comes with the glue
http://tumaxgardenproducts.com/plant_anchors

this thread has some vine trellis ideas http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg0700134427477.html

o

It does work really well as a trellis. It isn't called cattle panel though, more often called wire livestock fencing. You can wrap it around a post like a cage and grow vines up it. It is heavy enough not to collapse but light enough to work with. You can also frame it with wood or rebar and make a free standing trellis.

I called the Chandler Home Depot, they DO carry it.
It is called Welded Wire Fencing and it is in stock. Might not be the exact size pictured here but it is similar, she quoted me a lower price of $29

Here is a link that might be useful: fencing at Home Depot

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here