Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juttah_gw

Do kink-free hoses really exist?

Juttah
13 years ago

Every "kink-free" hose I've ever bought, wasn't, and I'm beginning to wonder if such a thing really exists.

If anybody has experience with a TRUE kink-free hose, I'd like to know what the brand name is.

Comments (51)

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

ROFL ... We're with thisisme ... bought a couple expensive "branded" kink-free hoses from home depot and suffer the same fate ... repaired them both, as the kinks create wear spots which then spring leaks ...

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    13 years ago

I actually have one (well, 2-50'ers) that I like really well. Not completely kink-free, I think there is some user error involved sometimes, but it's the best one yet. Of course, I don't remember the brand name, have had it at least two years. The hose itself is not completely round, it's hexigon shaped (is that six sided?) something like that. Heavy duty rubber.....wish I was more help, look for the not-round, not cheap, heavy rubber one. If I get to HD soon, I'll look. Mine's green, dunno if there's a clay colored one.

• ra
    13 years ago

I got one from Costco a few years ago that's industrial grade, that's made out of a better type of rubber which doesn't kink as much as your typical hose.

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

ours are the "Goodyear" clay colored ones. They're "heavy duty" compared to the others, but kink-free they ain't ;)

• murmanator
    13 years ago

Yeah, Ive gone through several of the 'non-kink' hoses that HD and Lowes sell. The packaging says that it has a lifetime guarantee, so the last one I bought (a few weeks ago) I asked the cashier if they honor the warranty, they said yes. Save the receipt and packaging, bring it back when it kinks and they will replace it, I was told. Ill give it a try next year when the thing starts to fall apart.

On a side note, if anyone knows of a good hose nozzle that will last more than a year with our climate and water, please let me know. Thanks

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

I LOVE this discussion and have been laughing from some of the comments. It's fun and funny to share some of the same frustrations! :)

I don't think there are any truly kink free hoses, but it does seem like the better hoses are more expensive. Maureen, I had one of those hose boxes at my last Scottsdale house and I left that thing behind, LOL, it ALWAYS tipped over. I really did hate it too, LOL.

My current hoses are low kink, but they can occur. For me, the best option has been to use quick-connect and quick-release attachments so that I can have one hose at one end of the garden, and the other attached to the faucet, and when it's time for me to water the far side of the garden I use the quick-connect to attach hose #2 to hose #1. If nothing else, it reduces the likelihood that I'll snap some plant's head off dragging the two combined hoses all over the garden. It cuts down on hose winding/unwinding too, which I think helps reduce kinks.

I've fantasized about all metal wire mesh sorts of garden hoses (hey, I'm a true blue gardening addict, what can I say). I just wish they were available, LOL.

Keep the fun updates and suggestions coming!
    Take care and happy gardening,
    Grant

• Juttah
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmm ... I wonder if part of our problem is that we're looking for hose in all the wrong places, like Home Depot and Lowe's.

Did some research and the Sears Craftsman hose is getting favorable reviews. I hadn't even thought of looking there. I'm going to pick one up this weekend and follow up here in a month or two with (hopefully) less kinky results.

• luvkuku
    13 years ago

I had a black one that was commercial grade and made to withstand hot water, and it didnt kink. It lasted maybe 10 years and died from being dragged around. Never been able to find another like it, but I remember it as being pricey.

• runawayoctober
    13 years ago

We've had really good experiences with the pink/terra-cotta colored ones from The HD. They'll still kink if pulled in the right way, but that takes some effort. My main issue with it is that it's so stiff it can have a mind of it's own and not point where I want it to sometimes. We've used these hoses in mechanic shop settings where they'd frequently get run over and were left in the sun, and they still held up beautifully.

• Juttah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, I'm back. I bought 2 Sears Craftsman hoses and after 2 months of daily use, I can say that these are the best garden hoses I have ever worked with. The 50' was on sale for $20, and the 100' was almost $60 with tax. Worth every penny though!

They're black rubber, hexagonal in cross-section and, strangely enough, the dreaded words "kink-free" are nowhere to be found on the packaging. (Perhaps this is the secret to finding the elusive kink-free hose!)

They do kink up once in a blue moon, but a simple twist of the wrist straightens them right out, and the kink doesn't leave a semi-permanent weak spot.

I haven't tried them in cold weather yet, but I imagine the rubber is far more flexible when cold, so it won't stiffen up and turn the hose into a giant Slinky.

I highly recommend the Craftsman hose if you've had it with these junky, so-called "kink-free" hoses!

• newtoucan
    12 years ago

Got the industrial grade one from Costco and it kinks like crazy and leaks. Not good.

• DocHollywood 9b Central Tucson
    12 years ago

I agree. The costco hose is awful.. I am going to check out the sears craftsman hose.

• tomatofreak
    12 years ago

Wow, I may have to go look for that hose! I have two Goodyear black rubber hoses. One is commercial grade and weighs a ton to lug around; the other is ordinary size. Both will kink but not like the non-rubber hoses I have. I also have that "clay-colored" one supposedly favored by contractors. It kinks too and it's also heavy. As for the hose reels, the only way to keep 'em upright is to bolt 'em to the ground. I still detest mine.

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

I'm definitely going to check them out too. Thanks for posting the link. Just this morning I was getting all steamed up thinking about this very thread from awhile ago. I was yelling (in my head, LOL) that there is virtually NO PRICE that is too high for a truly non-kinking hose. I'm curious! Post updates if anyone tries one of these or other hoses.

Happy watering! :P

• aptruncata
    12 years ago

You know, there's a youtube video of someone who taped a recording of a kink-free hose flying over korea, but I think it's a hoax.

12 years ago

That Tuff-Guard hose looks like a great idea. I wonder how it holds up over time laid out in the sun through summer. It's a bit pricey, which is to be expected with the features it delivers.

I recently bought two new hoses at Ace. I have at least two of them already. The 25' was $20 and the 50' was $29. Tuff-Guard's 50'er is listed as $50 at Sears.

The Ace hose is called "Heavy Duty Kink Free". Although it *will* occassionally kink, it's because I'm not paying attention when dragging it around and it coils back on itself. The older ones I have are at least two years old and show no signs of wear. I'm happy with this hose, it's the most kink-free as I've found....not as light as Tuff-Guard but nothing like those heavy duty ones mentioned above. Sending this along as comparison for those interested.

• tomatofreak
    12 years ago

I might make a trip to Ace for that 25' hose; I rarely - make that never - find a hose shorter than 50'. My theory is that the longer they are, the more likely they'll kink.

12 years ago

tf, one 25' would have worked for me but since the 25' was $20 and the 50' only $9 more, it made more sense. It's a good hose and even the 50'er does not exhibit serious kinking problems, a quick snap and twist will usually fix it. Or just be more careful than me when you drag it around so it's not curling back on itself. With this hose, it's more user error than hardware error, imo.

• azbookworm
    12 years ago

We have a commercial hose that is 'kink free". Yes, it is kink-less. But heavy!! I really do not enjoy using it because of the weight.

Still looking.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Back to hoses... I can't find the Tuff Guard except online. Has anyone seen it in a store here in the Valley?

• scausey
    11 years ago

I went to the Walmart on Bell to find a hose and they had none! Remodeling the garden center - phooey - I hope the one I got at HD behaves. I had to laugh out loud about the hose reels falling over. I'm taking mine to Goodwill with the rest of the things I have no use for.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Oh, yeah... hose reels. Another garden annoyance that never delivers on promises. The MOTH bought one of those auto-rewind thingies and I don't like it as much as the Suncast box with a handle. Can't ever get it to rewind. :(

I went to Ace to look at their hoses and asked about the Tuff Guard. They'd never heard of it, but the guy helping me looked it up on their computer. He came back out of the office all smiles, duly impressed. They are ordering it and should have it in the store in about a week. (That may be optimistic.) Anyhow, since all the high end hoses are anywhere from $40 on up, I think I'll spring for this hose. Lightweight and kink-free? What's not to love.

• tecolote2
    11 years ago

This trick works pretty neat. Instead of rolling your hose in a circle, use a figure 8 pattern as shown here. That way it just lays flat and won't flip over if you have it coiled, and cause a kink.
    When you roll it back up, you can feel that the hose is laying flat and not twisting when you try to coil it into a circle. Let me know if this works.

• newtoucan
    11 years ago

The last hose I just bought from Lowes is advertised as kink-free, and so far it has worked.

• Fascist_Nation
    11 years ago

Sure they exist. They are all over the place. They just aren't free of kinks. But they got my money.

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    11 years ago

I have tuff gards. They haven't kinked on me. I got a 100 foot for the front and it is too long, so difficult to haul around. So far so good. This is my second year with them.

• centurion_
    11 years ago

Has anyone tried the "pocket hose" I see it adertised on tv. If fact...there's a google ad at the bottom of this page at the moment.

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

Ernie, where did you get your Tuff Guard hoses? Ace never did get them in and I haven't found them anywhere else. Meantime, I saw an ad for this one and wonder if anyone has tried it - or something like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: different kind of hose

• letsharmonize
    10 years ago

im curious about feedback on the coil and pocket hoses also?

• Haname
    10 years ago

I was considering this at one point and read some reviews. The material on the outside seems to be a bit delicate for use on rough surfaces like gravel and concrete. If you're only using it on grass it would probably be great but I decided against the "flexable hose" because it didn't seem to be durable enough to withstand the conditions at my place.

I use a Craftsman black all rubber hose purchased at Sears. When the coils pull tight, you can easily stop them from kinking by just twisting the hose, from the business end. No more walking back to unkink. it's expensive but a great hose. Definitely heavier than others, though.

• centurion_
    10 years ago

Thanks haname. Thats the kind of info I was looking for. Guess I'll pass on that one.

• letsharmonize
    10 years ago

today i bought a 50' coil hose from walmart. i doubt it could be stretched to 50', but i only needed 25' so it should work out fine. it came with a nice multi-spray nozzle, and the connections were tight, and no leakage at either end. i'll review it after i've used it a few times.

5-22-13 update: it kinks :(

This post was edited by letsharmonize on Wed, May 22, 13 at 16:13

• newtoucan
    10 years ago

So the kink free hose from Lowes initially didn't kink but started kinking after a month.

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    10 years ago

My vote is TUff Gard. Even with all the twists and knots I create, it never kinks. U found them on Amazon, the co. sells directlyl thru amazon. Can't wait to get the replace meant hose.
    I got one with a bad end - last year - but never opeend it to know it was bad. I wrote to them, and a replacement is on its way.
    Nice to find integrity these days.
    Yes, they are expensive, but how much is your sanity worth?

This post was edited by ernie85017 on Wed, May 15, 13 at 1:06

• Michael Wanczyk
    8 years ago

I have purchased the basic green one and the commercial black one. I deal with hoses at a nusery and garden center. These do NOT Kink for me. BUT, 5 out of 5 have busted/blown up even with water pressure down. The last two lasted me 1 month. Not worth the money and aggrevation. They send me back to Home Depot with out a receipt and I get a new one. I can't get store credit, only replacement. I did everything by their instructions, don't leave them in the hot sun, Water pressure 35. Yadda yadda. They are terrible.

• newtoucan
    8 years ago

My Lowe's kink free hose has now blown up too. Don't remember if they had any kind of warranty and the receipt is long gone. Michael, are you referring to the Tuff gard hose? In the market for a new hose now. There's no way I can't leave my hose in the hot sun here in AZ.

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    8 years ago

I have had several Tuff gards. A few came with bad ends which evidenced with use. The brass ends came off. They were replaced, but the replacements had the same problem. I got tired of dealing with Tuff gard for replacements. They don't technically kink, but can get a tight bend after they have been used a while. They are heavy. They do age in the sun and you can start to see the webbing between the coils. Eventually I figure this will split. worth the money? Yes and no. Don't think I would buy another one.

• jolooks2
    8 years ago

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has kink problems with their hose. I also ditched the hose reel/box. What a joke it was on me. I've had great luck with Sears hoses and water wands. And Sears is good about returning ANYTHING that has a lifetime warranty. Let's see how well my lifetime warranty goes when I contact the company about their hose that supposedly is kink free. I think it was manufactured in a kinking way. Wish me luck folks.

• ra
    8 years ago

I don't buy garden hoses anymore. It's much better to make one yourself out of Braided vinyl tubing you can get by the foot at HD or Lowes. Get female and male hose ends and clamp them with hose clamps and you're good to go. It's a pricier route but this type of hose is amazing. it doesn't kink on me (get the thicker type) and it withstands the heat/sun. I got this idea from my work (I work at a resort) I noticed that the landscapers there use this type of hose, very heavy duty and I never see it kink.

• jolooks2
    8 years ago

Interesting tip Raimeiken-z9b - Peoria, Az and the hose must hold up well down there in the heat?

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Fifty foot expanding Gorilla hose, $90, or two for $180. Life expectancy three years. That's $60 a year for 100' of dribbly 3/8" hose.

Same amount of spiral coiled Water-Right 3/8" hose. Fifty dollars per fifty feet, and a four year life expectancy at $25 per year, if you're good to it.

Home Depot 3/4" by 100' red rubber commercial hose is $60. 150' capacity reel is $40. Life of the above, if you keep it reeled up in some shade, is fifteen to twenty years. That's about five to seven dollars a year. You actually keep your water pressure at the hose end, and no kinks whatsoever.

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    8 years ago

Rameiken: Is this tubing flexible? or is it ornery and fight straightening out, etc? HD has it at $45 for 25 feet! Yowza.

I get SO tired of fighting with the hose.

• grant_in_arizona
    8 years ago

I still hate my hose, LOL, I curse it every single morning. I bought THE most expensive hose that Home Depot had, the super thick, ridged, brown/terracotta one that even boasts "it can handle hot water" and I hate it. I have yet to find a hose here that doesn't annoy me several times a week, hah. Fun, ongoing discussion!

I do have one of those curly thin hoses in my front garden and it works just fine there. It would never be long enough for my back garden, nor would it navigate all of the obstacles (plants, hah). Love it for for my small front garden though, which only needs hand watering every few weeks and is generally accessible.

Happy gardening!

Grant

• jolooks2
    8 years ago

Can I return my guaranteed for life hose back to the company? Has anyone succeeded in having their return honored? The whole (dang) hose is defective as far as I'm concerned......Move two feet and you have a new kink. And I feel bad about swearing at an object.

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    8 years ago

Whick company?

• ra
    8 years ago

I don't have a problem with mine and my water pressure is pretty good on it too. There's several types and sizes. Get the thicker type and the 5/8in inside diameter.

Then get a male and female ends like these:

Male hose end

Female hose end

It's better if you also connect a swivel neck like this one from Amazon and attach it with the female end to the faucet:

Swivel hose gooseneck

and if you want to extend your hose in the future, it's relatively easy. Just get one of these barbed couplings and clamp the hoses together:

barbed hose coupling

Make sure you use teflon tape on all threaded connections to prevent any leaks.

this is essentially my setup here, but I have a coupling valve key connected on mine instead of the female hose end. I installed coupling valves (It's that valve inside that black hole) all over my yard for quick access to water without having a faucet near by. My hose is also isn't very long (only 20ft) easy to carry and connect at each spot of the yard. This way I don't have to drag a 50ft-75ft hose and try to get around obstacles around the yard.

• jolooks2
    8 years ago

Bought at Costco however it's been over 5 years......I'd have to chop off both ends and send to Flexon Industries in Newark, NJ. The good news is I do have a copy of the receipt. Thank you Costco.

• Judy Thomas
    8 years ago

Ace hoses are NOT kink free no matter what they say. Best hose I have had for not kinking is a white marine hose from my boating days. Need another one.

• Andrew Gatenby
    7 years ago

I bought one of those hoses that expand. Starts out 30 feet and expands to 100. This hose absolutely never kinks and I love it. Best hose by far I've ever had.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath