Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Great idea for tomatoes and ???

Posted by tomatofreak Z9 Phx USA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 14:40

This sounds like a terrific idea to me. Like some of the commenters, it also seems like it would work for other veggies, too. Maybe eggplant, peppers, some vining veggies like cukes, squash. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Water & Feed Tomatoes with this method

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Great idea for tomatoes and ???

tf, Google 'olla gardening', the concept you have posted is simply a giant olla. Better put a lid on that bucket or you will lose more to evaporation than you'll get down to the plants.

It's a great idea, I've been using olla's for a while and like the way it works. The trouble, at least for me, with a 5-gallon bucket is the amount of space it would take in the garden.

My olla's are either: unglazed clay 'wine coolers', often found at Goodwill or Savers for cheap or, as in the ones in this picture, two large clay pots, silicon gel'd together with a cork in the bottom pot. Voila! olla.......

This post was edited by marymcp on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 10:52

o

Too big for your yard? Good grief, you have a *huge* yard! Yep, I've known about the olla watering system for a long time; have a lot of 'em I got at the same places you got yours. The difference in the large bucket/trash can method is that there's compost in the bottom so the water wicks slowly through and carries 'fertilizer' with it. I do agree about the evap issue, though; right now it's dry enough to set the air on fire. :(

o

I don't think I said my yard was too small, I said it would take too much space in the garden. My raised beds are 4'x6' and a bucket that size is too large for the garden bed. That's all. It's not a bad idea, I was simply trying to spread the word on olla's because I like the concept.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here