Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ame_ga_furimasu

Tips on starting new plants: Senna and Sunflowers

ame_ga_furimasu
12 years ago

Hi! I'm very new to the forum (as I just started today) and I couldn't wait to start out with a question! Lol. I have 2 new seeds I want to try out: Senna covesii and Apache sunflowers. I also have a Sonoran desert flower seed mix I picked up for some fun. I've tried to grow the senna on some little starter peat pellets in a mini green house but they don't seem to be sprouting and those that do aren't getting very big before they die =( Does anyone have any advice on how I can help them grow? Also, should I start my seed mix and sunflowers the same way or...? My house is east facing so the front of my house gets direct sun all day and the back of my house is really shaded all day but still warm. I've been keeping the mini green house in my back window. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

~Ame

Comments (4)

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

Treat the Apache Sunflowers like any other sunflower .. plant them where you want them. They grow in full sun.

The senna and the sonoran wildflower mix? I'd scatter them where you want them and see what happens. Most desert plants are really hard to start, and this lets them do what comes naturally.

• ame_ga_furimasu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! I'll give that a try =)

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Welcome to the forum! We hope you'll post as much as possible as often as possible. Lazy gave you great advice, so let us know what you do and how it works out. Sunflowers are especially fun, aren't they? I usually start mine in mid-March through late April or so, for early summer flowers. They seem to do best (for me, anyway) with a spring sowing. The ones I start in mid-summer really struggle along.

Happy gardening and keep us posted!
    Take care,
    Grant

• ame_ga_furimasu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sunflowers are so much fun and I heard they were really good starter plants for kids. I have a 5 year old son that enjoys helping me so I thought they would be great for him =) Oh there's a good question! Do ya'll know any more good plants for kids? Thanks again for the excellent advice! It seems to be working out well!!

~Ame

Sponsored
Landmark Surfaces / United Granite
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Award Winning Countertop Fabricator & Installer in Northern Virginia