Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hong Kong Orchid Tree

Posted by AJBB 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 15:18

Grabbed a shot of one in the Scottsdale DMV parking lot yesterday in full bloom. Tough tree given the location.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hong Kong Orchid Tree

That's a purple orchid tree. Hong Kong orchid trees are sterile, so they don't produce those pods like other orchid trees.

I've noticed all over central phoenix that they've all been blooming like crazy, even the white orchid trees. Must've been because of our warm winter this year

o

I have yet to find that orchid tree at the nursery. All I find are the Hong Kong orchid tree.

o

Treeland nursery, whitfill, and summer winds has them. The white one is pretty rare though. I was able to grab one of the only 4 available in 24" box size at whitfill last week.

if the nursery doesn't have them, ask about them and they can special order them for you. I don't know why they aren't as readily available as the Hong Kong because they are more cold tolerant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here