Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lostyooper

Help with mammal pest/varmint

lostyooper
13 years ago

I have had both pocket gophers and hispid cotton rats. I don't think this new visitor is either.

It digs a hole about the size of a pocket gopher but holes just go down 6-12" then stop. Like it is digging up grubs? It hasn't eaten anything in the garden that I can tell. It is definitely nocturnal. I am pretty good with pocket gopher tunnel traps but came up with nothing. It also is digging around the edge and in my concrete block mulch pile. It also digs holes under the nylon screen that I cover beds of greens with. I would think this makes it small not large like a racoon.

I found hispid cotton rats very easy to catch in a havehardt trap. This new animal steals the bait(peanut butter on bread) and doesn't always trip the trap doing it.

Something made small tunnels in the mulch pile. The mulch pile is full of worms so what would grubs + worms mean?

I am fenced and walled in. The middle of the town. I also have stray cats that seem to be going after whatever it is and this tracks up the holes so I don't see prints.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA