Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chile Heads question for AZ

Posted by toucan 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 16:01

As you know, shade in the summer here is at a premium. I started way more pepper seeds than I probably have enough shade for.

Has anyone planted peppers successfully in our full AZ searing hot sun without shade cloth? If so, what variety.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chile Heads question for AZ

• Posted by campv 8b Camp Verde (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 17:11

Yep i don't have a sun shade. I grow all hot peppers. Nothing like sweet bell pepers. Now I don't get quit as hot so early as you but by Aug I am in the 100+ range and they do just fine.

o

i grow them out in full sun in goodyear no problem best and hottest crop is the fall crop last year had seranos, jalapenos, barker , bigjim and anaheims, this year wenk yellow hot, bhuts, carribean red, barker, lumbre and japs, and seranos and i have 2yo black pearls and 3yo chilitepins

o

Really. What kind of soil and set up do you have. Mine get burned badly by the sun/heat by August/Sept.

My eggplant does fine with the heat and sun though and may even have survived this winter.

o

• Posted by campv camp verde (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 16:38

Raised beds 8x4
Soil - Dirt from the dump, left over top soil from bags, steer manurae, old potting mix from dead plants and plain dirt from the yard.
Just about everything is in those beds. My soil is black and the beds are about 5 years old.
I just posted-"Satsuma plum in bloom" and in the photo you can see part of the raised beds

o

i grow them right out in the open probably an old field i use coffee grounds constantly for acidity and nitrogen and mg and jobes tomato stakes for fertalizer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here