Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet peas!

Posted by grant_in_arizona USDA Z9 Scottsdale, (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 16:28

Hi everyone,

Just for fun, I thought I'd share a couple of pics of my 'Lord Nelson' sweet peas which are in full bloom and are just under six feet tall (and growing!). They smell soooooooo nice!

Several sweet pea blooms:

Closer view:

I grow sweet peas almost every winter and am always glad I do. I just plant the seeds in mid-November or early December and keep them in a sunny spot all winter. They generally start blooming in March or April and bloom for a month or three, depending on the weather. My front yard is entirely desert, and my back yard is low water with lots of succulents, cacti, citrus and leafy low-water plants and shrubs, but I do allow myself a few high water plants in winter when they really don't need that much.

I hope you'll take a look and enjoy. If you're growing sweet peas too, let us hear about them. Just in case the embedded pics don't work, below is a link to my March photo album which has a few pics of the sweet peas in there.

Take care,
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Grant's garden pics March 2010

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet peas!

beautiful. I guess I do cosmos over the winter, but I think'll try these too next winter. and to me water is not a big issue. I reuse a lot of my graywater, and see no problem in using my graywater for ornamentals.

o

Grant, Sweet Peas bring fond memories of my Mother. She aways grew them and as a youngster I often took bouquets wrapped in a wet paper towel to my teachers.

Sweet Peas, Snapdragons, & Stock...all remind me of my Mom.

Thank you for sharing.

o

WOW so beautiful thanks for sharing

o

Dang you! I have NEVER been able to get those things to survive.

o

Thanks for the nice comments, I appreciate them. They do have an olde tymie sort of aura don't they? I always make sure to select varieties that are nice and fragrant (not all are, especially newer hybrids). I love cutting little bouquets to put in small jelly jars in the house or at my desk at work--they smell so nice! Of coure by trimming away the flowers for bouquets it encourages the plant to bloom even more--win win! I leave the last flowers of the season on the plant to get more seeds, though 'Lord Nelson' is a classic and easy to find. I did 'America' the last few years, another old time scented variety (pink and red stripes, or white and red depdending on your opinion).

Thanks again,
Grant

o
Adios!==RE: Sweet peas!

As wonderful and beautiful as they were, like magic, *poof*, they are dead, LOL. It's about what to expect at this time of year, and I've already ripped them out and replaced them, but the show was good while it lasted. I've seen some vines in Tempe still looking good, but as it gets warmer and warmer it's time to say goodbye to sweet peas until November, LOL.

There's a manettia in their spot now.
Take care,
Grant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here