Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sun Flowers in a courtyard

Posted by GoofyYno 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 17:12

Hi,
I think sun flowers are easy to grow, and my wife LOVES them. I'd plant them in the back yard, but I don't think they stand a chance with the dogs. (I can fence off any more than I've done with my herb garden).

so I was thinking about planting some in our enclosed courtyard (about a 25x15 foot area)- in cement 30 gallon pots. it gets some midday sun.
would this work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sun Flowers in a courtyard

Sunflowers grow really easily in the Phx area, if that's where you are.

o

You know, it sounds like it's worth trying. They do like full or mostly full sun though, and a nice early start in warm winter/hot summer areas. If you've got half a day or more of sun, they're worth a shot. There are tons of great varieties out there, tall or short, single big heads or multiple smaller heads, so if you've got the sun, you should be good to go. Let us know what you do and how it works out!

Happy gardening!
Grant

o

I thin I will try it. I may also put some in backyard where I want them. if they get big enough I may be able to put up some protection.
I was going to buy seeds, but I wonder if I can get them already growing so I can put in protection from the get go?

o

I would be surprised to see sunflowers already started - I never have, not that it can't happen, but it's possible that they don't transplant well.

On the bright side, they are *very* easy to start from seed and that way you get to pick which kind you prefer, too - there are a lot of really neat choices available. As long as you can remember to keep the soil moist until you see a sprout, you should get flowers pretty quickly. Thompson and Morgan have 3 full pages of them and list germination times of 7-21 days for most.

Here is a link that might be useful: T&M seeds

o

Thanks,
I order a bunch of seeds. I think I'll brave the dogs and plant in the backyard.

o

Best of luck, enjoy! Would love to see some pics...

o

Neat, keep us posted and post pics if you can. They really are fun. Happy gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: My March 2012 garden pics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here