Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angel8_gw

Small cluster of native wild plants

angel8
14 years ago

Hi, I know nothing about AZ gardening and am looking for suggestions to create a vignette of kind of wild looking plants but not sure how close to plant them? When a bush says 3 ft spacing does this count if you want to create a vignette? I see other people's around or those commercial strips with really nice grouping but I have no clue.

What works best together for full sun with minimum water?

I appreciate any help--thanks

Comments (3)

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

Which city? Do you have a picture of what you want to do?

For fast infill, plant shrubs about 50% of the recommended distance and use short-loved perennials like desert marigold between them. Have a spiky yucca coming out of a low-growing ground cover, or short shrubs under a pruned-up large shrub or small tree.

Also, a plant with lacy foliage is less of a problem for plants close to it and under it then a dense one. A lacy desert lavender can have trailing indigo bush right next to it because they occupy different layers.

• aztreelvr
    14 years ago

I'd recommend you try and get a copy of the CD titled Water Wise Landscaping in the Arizona Desert. This is a powerful tool that not only has 600 desert-adapted plants but also a gallery section with examples of plant groupings, garden gates, pathways, front yards, back yards, small space gardens, patios, native gardens, shady gardens, wildflower gardens, entryways, benches and seating walls, etc, etc.

It's available free from most city water conservation offices in the metro Phoenix area. Here's a link to Chandlers web site so you can see the cover. Scroll down about halfway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Water Wise Landsapiang in the Arizona Desert

• User
    14 years ago

Also don't forget to take a trip to the Desert Botanical Gardens to see what they've got (plus everything is labeled!). I think the biggest key to achieving a desert look is to group things - if you look at the real desert, you'll see lots of plants grouped together - barrel cacti in the shade of a mesquite, Ocotillo and Rabbitbrush next to each other, desert marigold pretty much everywhere - one plant taking advantage of the shade or protection of the other. I'd also recommend Mielke's Native Plants for Southwestern Landscapes (Amazon link below) and George Brookbank wrote a great treatise on gardening in Arizona called "Desert Gardening" that gives you the nuts and bolts of gardening in this challenging environment. Good Luck!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mielke's book

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County