Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lotagrass

help! wood rot in beloved palo verde

lotagrass
15 years ago

We have a young palo verde we planted in our backyard in Glendale 2 + yrs ago. It was a 5 gallon froma local nursury, not sure of the variety. It had grown very fast, maybe 15 ft tall and WAS gorgeous - our favorite element in the garden. Last night's wind storm ripped off half the tree and it is now precarious and assymentrical (no tree/shade left in the yard - only a part hanging over the wall).

Anyway, the trunk is split about a foot up, as if by lightening, but at the joint of the two main braches where it initiially broke the wood is dark throughout and I see a little evidence of white mold hyphae? The wood above and below this spot looks fresh and healthy yellow. Such a shame, apparently my husband inadvertently was giving it too much water by backwashing the pool in that area. We're not sure what to do.

Can the wound be painted over with something to kill the mold/prevent its spread? How should the splintered trunk be trimmed? Will the tree eventually grow back in the direction of the yard? Should we just take the whole thing out and start over? We really can't afford an arborist, or even a gardener to prune/remove stump etc. Plus, my husband and I are academic ecologists, ought to be able to handle this ourselves with the right advice. Anyone have experience with this?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone