Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Doing something different for Desert Gardening - Tomatoes

Posted by toucan 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 17:51

What do you do differently for growing tomatoes in the desert. For example, it's recommended to cut off extra leaves, but for the desert, it might be better to leave the extra leaves on for sun protection. I don't know if that is a good idea or not. I'd like to hear what you successful tomato growers are doing different than what some gardening books tell you that might be good for other parts of the country but not here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Doing something different for Desert Gardening - Tomatoes

I plant them and peppers closer than recommend as they self shade each other and the ground below them.

o

The first year I cut off the suckers-little leaves growing from the forks of the branches. Then I covered all the plants with shade cloth. They suffered.

Last year I planted a bunch of tomatoes too close, did not cut off any suckers and just left them alone. They did well. As "NoiseBeam" mentioned the tomatoes grew tall and created their own shade and microenvironment.

This year, I am planting tomatoes with more space between them. I use the Weave method of staking the branches. Again, will allow them to get tall and overgrown to create their own environment.

o

"Last year I planted a bunch of tomatoes too close, did not cut off any suckers and just left them alone. They did well."

The most successful tomato season I ever had was done this way. I concluded that tomatoes love company and do best when left alone to grow however they want to. If I had the same space available to me now that I had then, this is what I'd do. Btw, they were in full sun (southern exposure) w/no shade cloth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here