Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Kind of Chlorosis?

Posted by haname z9 AZ NE Phoenix (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 18:27

I was out puttering and trimming when I discovered some chlorotic leaves on my parsley plant:

The plant otherwise mostly looks pretty normal to me.

Does anyone know what this indicates? Thanks :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Kind of Chlorosis?

Has the plant recovered?

o

It almost looks like the opposite of chlorosis to me...that is, the leaves are green, but the veins are pale. I've seen it on my own parsley from time to time, but I'm afraid I don't know the cause.

o

• Posted by haname z9 AZ NE Phoenix (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 14:20

There's just a little area where It still has these odd leaves. I didn't remove all of them but it hasn't spread any further in the plant. Maybe it's caused by something feeding on the chlorophyll inside the leaf, or maybe it's a virus like the one that produces the interesting variegations in tulips, or some other type of infection. Since that's a possibility, I think I should remove all affected stems to prevent the possibility of spread.

This is the second year with this plant and it has multiplied quite a bit in its pot. I always thought parsley was a biennial, just blooming the second year, but this one bloomed the first year I had it, and is getting ready to bloom again. Turns out, there is also a perennial parsley. It's a great plant for attracting beneficial insects, not to mention, it's a nice herb for the kitchen. :) And if it is perennial, all the better!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tulips Broken by Viruses

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here