Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
euqruob

Dragon Fruit, now at Lowes!

euqruob
14 years ago

I've been trying to grow Dragon Fruit from seed at home, had the red and the pink variety sprout. Went to Tropical Mango yesterday, got a small red dragon fruit for $25. Sure enough, saw it today at Lowes for $20, and much larger and in better shape.

Got my little ones growing, and now have 2 big red ones growing amid my hibiscus, in pots, which I hope will provide enough shading and cooling and climbing spots for them this summer.

Comments (17)

• mangledmind
    14 years ago

Was wondering which Lowes you picked them up at? I have done some research into these and some other exotics I would love to throw in the garden ...

• grant_in_arizona
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting these sources, I'm sure there are other folks who are searching for some too. I have one red-fruited one that I got at a garage sale three years ago--the individual stems are thicker than my forearms. I bought a tiny one online three years ago two and it's made six feet of growth and I'm hoping to see from flowers/fruit some day soon. My larger one bloomed for the first time last summer but didn't make any fruit. Hopefully soon though.

Keep us posted on how yours do for you. Mine seem happiest along east-facing walls so that's where I planted them.

Take care and do keep us updated,
    Grant

• euqruob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Lowes at Hayden and McDowell had about 6 plants, I got the biggest one...:)

I have a tiny pink one growing a bit, and another seedling red one, no luck with the white ones, they sprouted but died quickly.

Mine are facing south, and are surrounded by hibiscus, if the sun is too intense, I'll put them on E. facing wall, where they are shaded by neighbor's massive pine tree.

• mangledmind
    14 years ago

I found these folks if anyone is interested. I have not contacted them yet, as I am knee deep in veggie planting right now, but after this planting I'm hitting them up for exotic fruits, lots of planting and care info listed for growing exotics here in the valley ...

Tropica Mango Rare & Exotic Fruit Nursery
    602-576-6948

DOWNTOWN PHOENIX:

4312 S CENTRAL AVE, PHOENIX AZ 85040
    OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK 10AM - 5PM
    NORTHWEST CORNER OF CENTRAL/BROADWAY DIRECTLY ACROSS
    FROM BANK OF AMERICA AND THE BROADWAY SHOPPING CENTER
    1.5 MILES SOUTH OF I-17 ON THE WEST SIDE OF CENTRAL JUST NORTH OF BROADWAY

EAST VALLEY:

Tropica Mango "Too" Rare & Exotic Fruit Nursery

10520 E Apache Trail (Main St.) Apache Junction, AZ 85220
    OPEN TUESDAY, THURSDAY, FRIDAY 9AM-2PM SATURDAY 10AM-4PM
    Corner of Apache Trail and Cheshire Next to Murphy's Fruniture
    1 Mile East of Loop 202 On North Side of Apache Trail
    Between Crismon and Signal Butte

http://www.tropicamango.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropica Mango Rare & Exotic Fruit Nursery

• mullenium
    14 years ago

I read that dragon fruit do not produce fruit unless hand polinated

• grant_in_arizona
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tip on hand pollinating the blooms--I'll give that a try if I get blooms this year. Euqruob, let us know if they tolerate the south facing wall--I'm curious. Mine got very bleached/yellow in full sun but now that they're getting a bit more shade they're a nice deep green--the happiest stems on my smaller plant are those that are snaking on the wall behind some hopseed bushes.

Take care all,
    Grant

• euqruob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've had 2 plants for about 3 weeks now, and they are growing like crazy! One has put out 2 new lobes that are about 3-4 inches long, another has put out two fat 4 inch lobes. 2 new lobes discovered today. They are loving the amount of light they are getting, I can't believe a cactus can grow so fast. Worth buying, Lowes still has a few plants. If you want to taste Dragonfruit, they usually have the asian variety with the white pith at Mekong Market on Apache and Dobson.

• zone10aridgardener
    14 years ago

I recently bought the varieties "dark star" and "purple haze". The purple haze wasnt doing good at all, but dark star took of like crazy up my palo verde.

• jrubik_mac_com
    13 years ago

Did the people at Lowes tell you as much information as how to grow the dragon fruit as the ones at the local nursery. I bought dragon fruit from Lowes too and they told me it was a desert cactus so I treated it like one and it died. I bought one from Tropica Mango and they explained how to grow and care for it, as well as the importance of trellising it so it would fruit properly and the additional water it needs, they also had more than one variety. . Yes I paid more but now I have a healthy plant and I can always call them with questions. You don't get that at lowes or home depot and that is why you pay more.

• euqruob
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They have them again at Lowes.

And no, they know nothing about Dragon fruit, as they are workers at Lowes.

That is why when I buy something, I google it and learn how to grow it.

$20 plus free information on internet vs $45 and information you can find out on your own. BTW, I love Tropica Mango, but I love paying more than 50% less for the same thing.

• phxplantaddict
    13 years ago

I have 5 gallon dragonfruit for sale, many to choose from. And a 15 gallon with fruit now.

• kccav
    13 years ago

Lowe's prolly bought the Dragon Fruit cacti frome verne nurseries in Cali. I don't think they will ship to AZ unless your a business.

• agility_mom
    13 years ago

I bought one of these in a red variety last Spring from Lowes. It is still sitting in the pot that it came in under an overhang on the North side of my house. The funny thing is that it is doing great there and has put on about 4 foot of growth, even growing through a rain chain.
    I couldn't figure out what to do with it before but now I am getting ready to plant it on the North side of a 6 feet tall chain link fence where it will get shade from a huge Ironwood tree.

• euqruob
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just hit Home Depot at Riverview in Mesa. They have Dragon Fruit, both red and white in stock. Only $17! Picked up another white one. I found the white ones get burned much more easily in the hot sun, so shade it if possible, even more if in a pot.

• phxplantaddict
    13 years ago

Mine are 6 foot tall with fruit on them for $10. Neo, guatemalan, and vietnam giant white.

• euqruob
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Plantaddict, where in the valley are you at? I'm going to plant a few in the ground in my back yard (my others are all in pots). I'm interested in the guatemalan.

I noticed the red ones at HD were Hylocereus polyrhizus, I've seen red ones from the same growers that were the Undatus. HD's whites were Undatus. The lesson I learned this year, too much sun, not enough shade, except for the one planted under a Mulberry. The other ones were not getting enough shade from the hibiscus. Next year, I'll put a few in between my plumerias that should give more shade. Now that the sun intensity has waned, I'm hoping for lots more growth like back in April and May.

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Good to hear the results on how things worked out euqruob. I think managing sun exposure is really critical in keeping them happy. My happiest ones are on north-facing and east-facing walls. My largest plant made two new branches this summer each over six feet long--amazing stuff. Now if I could just get fruit, LOL. Actually I'm very happy just having the plants, but I would love some fruit some time.

Great discussion!
    Grant

Sponsored