Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

What's looking good in your March 2011 garden?

grant_in_arizona
13 years ago

Hi everone,

Okay, I'll admit it, I have a LOT of things that DON'T look good in my garden right now, LOL, but some plants are looking good so I thought I'd share them and ask to see what's looking good in your garden too.

Below are a few pics I've taken in my little garden this month that I thought you might enjoy. Feel free to share some from yours too. :)

Good ol' "desert bluebells" (Phacelia campanularia) starting to bloom. A super easy spring annual. Just plant seeds in November or so for spring blooms. If you let several plants go to seed, you'll never need to buy seed again. Really easy and a nice, true blue.

{{gwi:399044}}

Scilla peruviana starting to bloom as well. These are very easy bulbs to grow. Just plant them in autumn for spring blooms. They disappear into dormancy when the weather gets hot and they re-emerge in mid-winter. They just get bigger and better each year. The hardest part of growing them is to remember where they are in summer when they're dormant so you don't accidentally dig them up or stab them in the heart! No need to keep them on life support (drip irrigation) in summer either. What's not to love???

{{gwi:399046}}

For my fellow cactus lovers, here's a section of my back yard that I just re-did. These cacti where in the ground (a tall furry "snow pole" Cleistocactus and an Opuntia I started from a cutting) but I dug them up and planted them in these large glazed red pots to add some more height and color to that part of the garden. I also dug up and re-located that aloe (Aloe cryptopoda) in front of the red pots too just to give it more light. The fun, spiny "Cape aloe" (A. ferox) has been in that spot on the right for years. Nothing fancy, but an improvement if you ask me.

{{gwi:399047}}

Below is a link to my March 2011 garden photo album in case the embedded pics don't work for some folks. None of these plants got covered during the winter.

Okay, enough about me. Your turn. :)

Happy gardening,

Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: My March 2011 garden pics

Comments (19)

• euqruob
    13 years ago

I have a bunch of Hawaiian Papaya seedlings that I am about to put in the ground. Just put boysenberry and marionberry and goji berry in with my Suriname Cherry. Want to get a fruiting mulberry tree too. Waiting for my bamboo to start shooting again as well!

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

nice captures grant ...

here's mine for this morning:

{{gwi:399048}}

{{gwi:399049}}

{{gwi:399050}}

{{gwi:399051}}

{{gwi:399052}}

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Neat. Keep us posted on your plants and seedlings, euqruob! Mangled, great pics of delicious looking plants. Looks like you're having a bumper crop! Thanks for posting them. I heart caggabe. :)

Here are a couple of other pics I just grabbed this morning before I head out and battle my spiny overgrown lemon tree.

Aloe 'Blue Elf' in bloom:

{{gwi:399053}}

Hybrid petunia

{{gwi:399054}}

Scilla, phacelia, petunias blooming, and a variegated Agave desmettiana that I started from a radish-sized air-baby (stem bulbil) two years ago
    {{gwi:399055}}

Happy gardening and keep the updates coming!
    Grant

• Azscapes
    13 years ago

Petunias amazing come back after deep freeze
    [IMG]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x210/1siklude/IMG_0942.jpg[/IMG]

Texas mt Laurel blooming
    [IMG]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x210/1siklude/IMG_0920.jpg[/IMG]

Sophora secundiflora 'Silver Peso' flower close up
    [IMG]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x210/1siklude/IMG_0944.jpg[/IMG]

• Azscapes
    13 years ago

Petunias amazing come back after deep freeze

{{gwi:399056}}
    Texas mt Laurel blooming

{{gwi:399057}}

Sophora secundiflora 'Silver Peso' flower close up

{{gwi:399058}}

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beautiful, AZscapes! Your petunias totally bounced back, and those sophora are great. I have a small 'Silver peso' I got as a 4 incher three years ago and now it's a whopping four feet, LOL. Both of yours are great!

And how envious am I of those date palms?! VERY. Great stuff! Keep the pics and updates coming!

Take care,
    Grant

• Azscapes
    13 years ago

Thanks grant! Spotted this in Phoenix today had to stop and snap a photo

{{gwi:399059}}

• dreamindecor
    13 years ago

Everyone - photos are great! How do you post a photo to this site? I've tried a few different ways, nothing seems to work so far.

• MissionGardens
    13 years ago

I've got a red star petunia that's absolutely the happiest thing i've ever planted. It was a little plantling when i put it into the pot with two other plants. It swallowed up the pansy and the empty space in the pot and is making moves on the dusty miller that shares its space. Pictures to follow later.

My cauliflower is flourishing, but has turned yellow (how do you prevent that?), and i let my broccoli go to flower the first round, so the kids could see it (i teach gardening classes at a preschool). Now that i've cut it back, it's coming in quickly!

• luvkuku
    13 years ago

You guys are so inspiring; I dream over your gardens, but THIS year I am concentrating on growing vegetables. My DH is in charge of the landscape gardening but he has a new puppy so is not focused on plants right now.

• spyral
    13 years ago

Dandelions are doing great! Hahaha!

Actually my greens are ending their Winter reign and have flowered. I'll miss the fresh salads, but the tomatoes have been planted and I plan to get some peppers and eggplant in before the weekend.

• azant
    13 years ago

here's some from the garden :)

Lupine
    {{gwi:399060}}

Scabiosa
    {{gwi:399061}}

Papaver nudicaule
    {{gwi:399062}}

Cercis chinensis 'Avondale'
    {{gwi:399063}}

Phlox subulata
    {{gwi:399064}}

Syringa x persica 'Persian Lilac'
    {{gwi:399065}}

My succulent, Pelargonium crithmifolium
    {{gwi:399066}}

Another succulent pelargonium, P. cortusifolium
    {{gwi:399067}}

'Pinstripe' Petunia
    {{gwi:399068}}

'Cappuccino' Petunia
    {{gwi:399069}}

Ungnadia speciosa
    {{gwi:399070}}

Viola odorata
    {{gwi:399071}}

OK thats all for now, sorry :) Hope you enjoy.

• euqruob
    13 years ago

{{gwi:399072}}

Dragon fruit has been growing new arms like crazy. This pic looks like a strange new reptile growing in the garden.

• azbolt
    13 years ago

euqruob,
    Your DF looks good, most of mine have some sort of frost damage. They are sure appreciating the warmer weather tho!

Kevin

• MissionGardens
    13 years ago

All right, here they are - my best pictures:

Alyssum, which seems to be the only result from throwing a "mixed wildflower" bag
    {{gwi:399073}}

The ridiculous petunias, happily crowding the dusty miller and carnations (they already ate a pansy plant):
    {{gwi:399075}}

A pink and white daffodil:
    {{gwi:399077}}

Snapdragons i thought were done for, came out of nowhere:
    {{gwi:399080}}

Lavender Lady. Almost ready to take the supports off!:
    {{gwi:399082}}

"Peppermint Twist" geraniums:
    {{gwi:399084}}

Surprise! Daffodils in the herb garden:
    {{gwi:399086}}

Trailing verbena. LOVE the bright red:
    {{gwi:399088}}

My favorite, the perfect calla lily:
    {{gwi:399091}}

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I LOVE all of the great new pics, thanks for sending them in. Great stuff! This is the first year in a long time I'm not growing any lupines, so I'm very envious of those, plus most of the other great plants in the pics. I had to look up Ungnadia (Mexican buck-eye). Another winner.

Keep the pics and updates coming!
    Take care,
    Grant

• EarthSmartDesign
    13 years ago

Oh my lady banks rose looks great!! I have 3 of them and they have done well for me for 3 years.

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love those Lady Banks roses too. I had one at my last Scottsdale garden and really need to get one started in my current garden. That foliage is as nice as the blooms! :)

Here are a couple of other plants looking good in my little garden this month. I hope you take a look and enjoy.

Goofy but pretty multi-colored striped petunias around the base of a small tangerine tree:

{{gwi:399093}}

Hippeastrum striatum in bloom--a great evergreen species type of "amaryllis":

{{gwi:399095}}

Variegated Billbergia bromeliad (B. windii maybe??):

{{gwi:399098}}

Happy gardening!
    Grant

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know, I know, it's April now, LOL, but here are two more pics of some blooms--Echium or "Pride of Madeira" which has done really well in my garden for a couple of years.

{{gwi:399100}}

{{gwi:399102}}

Take care and happy April! :)
    Grant

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction